When are you considered "official"?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the following;
    A friend of mine has been on a couple of dates with a guy who also likes her. She tells me they regularly text etc., and have both told each other how they feel.
    She asked when I think a couple are official, and to be honest , I didn't know what to say.
    What do you all think? Does someone in the relationship have to ask the "will you be my boyfriend/girlfriend" question? Or do you automatically become official after a certain period of time?

edit: she doesn't know if she can call him her boyfriend or not? Since I'm not exactly the most experienced in dating I can't really say, so if anyone has any tips for me to tell her 😂

ReputationRep:
    It'll be different for each couple but for my own relationship, we became officially a couple the moment he asked me out. There was no dating between us before that. We went straight from being friends to a couple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend and I were talking about this too. She says it's when I asked her out, but I said it was official when we said how we felt about each other (I asked her around a week after; I just assumed I didn't need to cus it was already 'official', but she liked the formality of it ).

ReputationRep:
    Its a mood rather than a timing. You feel comfortable with each other, you're bonking like rabbits, going out together regularly, meeting each others friends and feeling very happy.

ReputationRep:
    We started dating (it was very intensive, we met up everyday from then on) and after a week or so he called me his girlfriend in conversation and gave me a look as if to say "you are... Right?" And i replied to him calling him my boyfriend that was it!

ReputationRep:
    It is different for everyone, tbh. I dated a guy where we got pretty serious from the first date. I also dated a guy that I didn't even let kiss me at the end of the date until we were on our 6th date and after that we only casually dated on a few more dates. I ended up in long term relationships with both guys so you just never know.

ReputationRep:
    wel myself and gf were discussing last night, we hooked up two months ago out of the blue (for me anyway) - it was pretty much a forgone conclusion after that we would become an item and so weve been a couple ever since.

But we had been best friends for four years prior to this. It depends entirely on the couple and how they do things

ReputationRep:
    This question has caught me out a couple of times ._. guys can freak out if you make an assumption, even if it's because they said it first, or it seems obvious. It's more like a feeling, but it's always worth bringing it up in conversation for clarity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danandphil)
    do you automatically become official after a certain period of time?
    Generally no, in this day and age. In essence, it is for the guy to express that she is his girl, one way or another. The absence of this masculine affirmation is generally a red flag (tends either to mean he's beta/not bothered)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.