Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've gone from 5 A*'S and 5 A's at GCSE to CCD in French, Biology and Chemistry at AS. I was achieving BAA all year within 3 subjects, and my teachers are shocked by my chemistry and biology grade especially. I think I just flapped in the exams, the exam period was a difficult time for me this year around. However, do you think theres any chance or any point of applying to any med schools? My science grades get scrapped when I sit my A2 exams, however they count towards my predicted grades. I'm trying to look into Foundation years with Medicine however, there's very limited spaces and it's all rather complex.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elationgirl)
    I've gone from 5 A*'S and 5 A's at GCSE to CCD in French, Biology and Chemistry at AS. I was achieving BAA all year within 3 subjects, and my teachers are shocked by my chemistry and biology grade especially. I think I just flapped in the exams, the exam period was a difficult time for me this year around. However, do you think theres any chance or any point of applying to any med schools? My science grades get scrapped when I sit my A2 exams, however they count towards my predicted grades. I'm trying to look into Foundation years with Medicine however, there's very limited spaces and it's all rather complex.

What do you guys think?
    Your predicted grades are what's important at the moment, so I would focus on convincing your teachers to stick with an AAA prediction. If they were shocked at your grades, perhaps you can sit down with them and talk through your issues with the exam process. Try and convince them you know your stuff, and that it's an unfortunate bad set of exams.

A2 will be tough, no doubt about it. You're going to have to resit some of your worse modules, and that adds to the pressure and stress. You need to be aware of how tough that is. Are you willing to put it all on the line and fight for what you want?

The other option, if they don't predict you AAA, is to not apply this year and wait for your A2 results (which after all your hard work will be AAA!).

Finally, if you do miss out on the grades, you can consider somewhere like Nottingham for foundation courses (see http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine...15-(a100).pdf) as they grade your GCSEs rather than AS/A2s. Or you could do another degree, and consider graduate entry. I did this (got DEE at A2!) but it is much more competitive, and more expensive, so there's no guarantees.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elationgirl)

What do you guys think?
    Focus on your A levels this year. If you do apply for medicine only use it to see what it's like to prepare you better for applying in your gap year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.