What would you do in this scenario?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

My friend is having her 19th birthday in October at an alright-ish restaurant and so she has invited me along with a couple of friends. So, the other day she asked me to come clothes shopping with her to a new shop that she likes, and so I agreed. Her and her family came along too which I was ok with at first. I had initially thought that it would be a cute little shopping trip, where I could buy a few tops and what not, but it turns out I was only there for her and her family's convenience.

A few minutes into the trip they all started picking out clothes and dresses for me to try on which were not to my taste, and even when I continued to say no, they kept on pressurising me to try them (My friend always has a habit of behaving like this). To my annoyance, I eventually gave in and went to the changing rooms to try a few of the items on, but even whilst I was in there, they kept on passing me even more clothes to try on even when I consistantly said that the clothes in the shop were not to my taste. We must have been in there for about an hour until we managed to get to the tills and pay for everything. I had purchased a few clothes that I liked along with one dress (which they picked out, but i didn't like), but I was a little annoyed that the parents did not bother to chip in a penny to cover the cost of the dress which they practically FORCED me to buy.

Anyways, to cut the long story short, my friend only wanted me to come shopping with her so she could make me buy a dress that she WANTS ME to wear at her birthday party. I could understand her behaviour if I was part of the bridal party at her wedding or whatever, but for a regular birthday meal out I don't think so. So do you guys think I should turn up to her party in my own clothes (I hate what they picked out for me), or should I just turn up in the dress to make her happy? I have always had problems feeling at ease with my friend and her family's forceful nature so do you think I should cut her off completely or what?

bump

ReputationRep:
    I have been in a similar situation to this, I used to be a bit of a tomboy and never really felt comfortable wearing a dress but one time my two friends took me shopping to look for dresses it made me feel so awkward because they were finding dresses I didn't like and I kept thinking please just end! Eventually we found a dress that I kinda liked but it wasn't really me. They wanted to give me a makeover so they curled my hair and I went out wearing the dress, I didn't really have any other friends at the time so I went along with it. After a while I got into the party and I ended up having a good time.

What don't you like about the dress? How long have you been friends?

(Original post by Rebecca2195)
    I have been in a similar situation to this, I used to be a bit of a tomboy and never really felt comfortable wearing a dress but one time my two friends took me shopping to look for dresses it made me feel so awkward because they were finding dresses I didn't like and I kept thinking please just end! Eventually we found a dress that I kinda liked but it wasn't really me. They wanted to give me a makeover so they curled my hair and I went out wearing the dress, I didn't really have any other friends at the time so I went along with it. After a while I got into the party and I ended up having a good time.

What don't you like about the dress? How long have you been friends?
    Im just really not a dress person tbh, I hate showing my legs lol. And we've been friends for at least 4/5 years now, so idk if it would seem really abrupt if I tried to cut her off at this stage :/

ReputationRep:
    you really need to learn to stand up for yourself, I would NEVER spend money on something I didn't want to buy because someone was bugging me about it and why would the parents chip in for YOUR clothes? maybe they just wanted to help you given you never wear dresses

personally now I would return the dress and wear what you want, if asked just say you changed your mind about it and don't explain further, it's not her decision what you wear

ReputationRep:
    Return the dress and say you can't afford to spend that much money on an outfit you'll wear once. If she cares that much, she'll buy it for you and then I'd say wear it. If not, it obviously isn't that important to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamo2509)
    Return the dress and say you can't afford to spend that much money on an outfit you'll wear once. If she cares that much, she'll buy it for you and then I'd say wear it. If not, it obviously isn't that important to her.
    This. Be yourself OP!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.