Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Title

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend getting some experience - Dig York offer experience days ranging from one day to a couple of weeks - but you don't need to have studied it before!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neriine)
    I'd recommend getting some experience - Dig York offer experience days ranging from one day to a couple of weeks - but you don't need to have studied it before!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sau5sage)
    Title
    Hi Sau5sage!

Absolutely not! You do not need prior knowledge or experience to study Archaeology, but it just helps.

Not many people know a great deal about Archaeology because it's a subject they've never encountered before. Pending the universities your applying to however, I would recommend reading a simple textbook on the subject - just to make sure it's right for you. Archaeology: an introduction by Kevin Greene is a really nice, easy to read introduction. I highly recommend it!

You might want to consider getting some experience at a dig, volunteering at a museum, etc, but often these are quite hard to get, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. As aforementioned, the York digs are very good, so you might consider applying to some of those! At the end of the day it depends how competitive the university is: you might get side-lined by those who have experience or have read around the subject widely. But ultimately, go for it!

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I second this, you don't have to have experience to get a place unless they specifically ask for it.

It might however be a good idea to acclimatise yourself with archaeological theory/methods if you aren't already familiar with them. Try and get hold of a cheap 2nd hand copy of Archaeology: Theories, Methods and Practices by Renfrew & Bahn, it teaches you the basics and includes case studies.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.