Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For Computer Science:
    The bottom line is: Is location worth sacrificing for course content?
    If I choose location (Edinburgh), will I really be sacrificing course content?
    Birmingham:
    + Course is really very similar to the one I was rejected from.
    + Course has fewer mathematical elements which is better for me since I'm not feeling too confident in my mathematical ability right now.
    + Campus uni, which I like.
    + Year abroad
    + Better in subject rankings nationally than Edinburgh
    ------------
    - The main one: Birmingham is my home city and the thought of staying in my hometown does not sit well with me. Although I'd be staying in halls and the uni is located on the opposite side of town, I'm frankly a little sick of the environment and need a fresh start, socially also.
    - Arguably questionable industry links
    - Dreary buildings, in contrast with Edinburgh's stunning architecture.
    ---------------------

Edinburgh:
    + World-class department for my course, content is thorough and apparently very well taught.
    + International prestige, and about 50 places higher in the international league tables.
    + Will let me do a bit of some of the other subjects I'm interested in.
    + Amazing city, atmosphere wise, etc
    + Better industrial links
    + Will give me the fresh start I'm looking for.
    + Option of masters
    + Option to tailor course to needs, highly flexible.
    ----------------------
    - Course significantly more mathsy than I would like - will I enjoy this/appreciate the links with my major? I don't know.
    - City campus - will it be harder to make/keep friends as we'll be scattered through/around the city?
    - Great distance from home.
    - No international year/industrial experience but fresh tart in new city compensates considerably.

What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    id go for edinburgh if i were you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    id go for edinburgh if i were you
    What's your reasoning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stressedout9898)
    What's your reasoning?
    maths is a skill to improve and develop, so you shouldn't be apprehensive of a maths-intensive computer science course. besides, if you have the grades to get in, chances are you will be able to handle the maths just fine

edinburgh may be a city university, but it's so big that you may well feel like you're in a campus anyway.

subject rankings change all the time. unless edinburgh has been consistently bad for computer science, i don't know why that should matter a great deal. e.g. in 2008, birmingham was #24 for computer science and edinburgh was 7th.

edinburgh university does offer a year abroad in computing:
    http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/file..._exchanges.pdf - places in spain, italy, poland, portugal, germany, belgium and australia are available.

and finally, edinburgh is BEAUTIFUL. its heritage, clean streets, chilly and fresh atmosphere, culture, etc. all surpass birmingham in every way imaginable (trust me, i live near there too. who would choose the west midlands over somewhere like the capital of scotland?!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    maths is a skill to improve and develop, so you shouldn't be apprehensive of a maths-intensive computer science course. besides, if you have the grades to get in, chances are you will be able to handle the maths just fine

edinburgh may be a city university, but it's so big that you may well feel like you're in a campus anyway.

subject rankings change all the time. unless edinburgh has been consistently bad for computer science, i don't know why that should matter a great deal. e.g. in 2008, birmingham was #24 for computer science and edinburgh was 7th.

edinburgh university does offer a year abroad in computing:
    http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/file..._exchanges.pdf - places in spain, italy, poland, portugal, germany, belgium and australia are available.

and finally, edinburgh is BEAUTIFUL. its heritage, clean streets, chilly and fresh atmosphere, culture, etc. all surpass birmingham in every way imaginable (trust me, i live near there too. who would choose the west midlands over somewhere like the capital of scotland?!)
    I appreciate the response - thank you.
    The logic in your reasoning is apparent. The other way in which the Edinburgh course feels less ideal is because it won't let me pursue my interest in Philosophy alongside Computer Science academically, whereas Birmingham will, while allowing me to do Comp Sci in depth (my original choice was a joint honours in Comp Sci and Phil) . Of course, there'll be relevant societies to join and I could take a more holistic approach in my pursuit of this interest but I really don't know.

In terms of university character, I'd really prefer a studious atmosphere. Visiting Bham I felt like there was some of that but I'm not sure about Edinburgh since I haven't been.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with Edinburgh too. Remember uni isn't just about the course, it's about growing as an adult, learning to become self sufficient and having new experiences.

ReputationRep:
    This is a close call for various reasons. However, I believe I would favour Edinburgh here. Their department is really good and well reputed, even in India (where I am from) most people know University of Edinburgh for their AI research work. Edinburgh has several reputed professors. If you want to progress in the field of research, Edinburgh would be a great choice definitely. Also if you want to settle abroad for job, it's more likely people will know University of Edinburgh than University of Birmingham. Maths is generally needed for computer science and ofcourse you will have most things maths related. However, it isn't difficult or impossible. You can always take help from fellow students, your personal tutor or lecturer (if they are free).

However, I must say a year in industry sounds like a nice deal if you have plans to find a job as soon as your undergrads end. Most of the time, the employer you work for in the industrial year hires you. Saying so, most of the top companies will hire students from Edinburgh and Birmingham. Both have a strong reputation in the job market.

Rest it is upto you. You are to decide what you want. You should join the university you feel like it is meant for you. Both are good.

ReputationRep:
    bump

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.