Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am freaking out about whether or not I have ruined my chances of being able to go to university next year.
    I got AAD for my AS results in psychology, maths and physics (new spec) respectively. I was not expecting a D in physics at all. I've been getting Bs all year in class tests and a B in both of the mock exams. My teachers know that I am a hard worker and honestly, I have no idea why I got such a bad grade.
    Will universities look at my AS results and think that I am a moron? I mean I managed to get an A in maths so I'm clearly capable of doing well academically but will universities consider this?
    I'm going to work my butt off to get a much higher grade in physics next year. I have even started self-teaching A2 content now.
    I won't be applying to any prestigious universities such as oxbridge, UCL, Bath, Durham etc... I'll be applying to places such as Surrey, Swansea, Loughborough, Bangor, Royal Holloway. Their requirements for the course I want to study are AAA-AAB. Have I ruined my chances?
    Honestly, I have never achieved such a bad grade in my entire life... for GCSE I got majority As and A*s.
    Will this bad grade that luckily won't count towards my overall A-level grade in physics (which I am sure as hell going to make sure is a B or above) make universities reject me and think I'm not competent?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I really wouldn't worry if I were you. Most universities, especially less prestigious ones, don't take a bad grade into serious account when they know you are retaking, especially when you have a long history of good grades like you do, and can see that you have achieved well in other exams or subjects. Do you know if it was a specific unit you had difficulty with? If so, it may be useful to add each individual unit grade when applying to universities, so they can see that it was just one unfortunate exam and you have done well in other units.

Unless your university requires a specific grade in physics (Eg A or B), then you should be just fine, especially as you've clearly worked hard and are contentious enough to care and be pro-active about it. If you really are anxious, ring up their admissions and explain your situation, and ask if they take into account predicted grades or AS results - I know for sure that Surrey consider predicted grades, as I was asking this exact question myself when I was at an open day there.

I hope this helps a little, try and praise yourself for such a good result in your other two subjects, instead of criticizing yourself, you've done well. Good luck for next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMfit)
    Hi there,

I really wouldn't worry if I were you. Most universities, especially less prestigious ones, don't take a bad grade into serious account when they know you are retaking, especially when you have a long history of good grades like you do, and can see that you have achieved well in other exams or subjects. Do you know if it was a specific unit you had difficulty with? If so, it may be useful to add each individual unit grade when applying to universities, so they can see that it was just one unfortunate exam and you have done well in other units.

Unless your university requires a specific grade in physics (Eg A or B), then you should be just fine, especially as you've clearly worked hard and are contentious enough to care and be pro-active about it. If you really are anxious, ring up their admissions and explain your situation, and ask if they take into account predicted grades or AS results - I know for sure that Surrey consider predicted grades, as I was asking this exact question myself when I was at an open day there.

I hope this helps a little, try and praise yourself for such a good result in your other two subjects, instead of criticizing yourself, you've done well. Good luck for next year!
    Hey, thanks for replying. I did two papers for physics this year but unfortunately, my results sheet doesn't say what I got in each paper. It also doesn't even say how close I was to the next grade. All it says is Physics AS - D.
    So for all I know, I could've got a B in paper 1 and a U in paper 2, but i'll never know. I think its definitely paper 2 that brought my grade down though.
    I even did better in the specimen papers that we did as a mock in class and they were much harder than the real exams!
    I'm just hoping that my physics teachers won't give me a low prediction because of this Like hopefully they'll still think i'm capable of achieving at least a B next year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.