Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know about cats and births? my sisters mates cat had her first kitten at about 12 pm... she has been waiting for the next kitten to arrive? as far as i know cats arent in labour for 10 hours. Am i wrong? the dozy cow didnt think of getting a vet involve until my sister just range me about half an hour ago. I think the other kittens will be dead by now. does anybody have any experience in this?? plz

(Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    Does anybody know about cats and births? my sisters mates cat had her first kitten at about 12 pm... she has been waiting for the next kitten to arrive? as far as i know cats arent in labour for 10 hours. Am i wrong? the dozy cow didnt think of getting a vet involve until my sister just range me about half an hour ago. I think the other kittens will be dead by now. does anybody have any experience in this?? plz
    This might involve a rubber glove, be forewarned.

ReputationRep:
    http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybi...ncybirth_2.htm

any good?

ReputationRep:
    Tell your sis to get the cat to a vet imediatley! One of the babies could be stuck in the birth canal, and if left untreated the babies and the mother could die. 10 hrs since the first was born? The survival chances are slim to none at this point if there are any other kittens in the womb. Is she still showing signs of labor? It is rare but sometimes they only have one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. What is it with you and pets? Get in contact with the vet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybi...ncybirth_2.htm

any good?
    Thank you... she phoned the vet and the vet said it is not unheard of... the mum sounds healthy enough. I have just ****ged my sis's mate off something rotten ... but i would have called the vet after about 5 hours, not just waited. the cat should have been spayed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    fingers crossed everything will be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Tell your sis to get the cat to a vet imediatley! One of the babies could be stuck in the birth canal, and if left untreated the babies and the mother could die. 10 hrs since the first was born? The survival chances are slim to none at this point if there are any other kittens in the womb. Is she still showing signs of labor? It is rare but sometimes they only have one.
    They have spoken to the vet and because the mum is quite relaxed all seems to be going well. i still think she should have called earlier. I gave my sis a right earful, saying exactly what you have said lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I'm not sure. What is it with you and pets? Get in contact with the vet.
    I know... bloody pets, who'd have 'em???

ReputationRep:
    Thank you... she phoned the vet and the vet said it is not unheard of... the mum sounds healthy enough. I have just ****ged my sis's mate off something rotten ... but i would have called the vet after about 5 hours, not just waited. the cat should have been spayed anyway.
    I work in a vet office, and 10 hrs is unheard of! I seriously have to question this vet's oppinion. Normal labor for a cat is one kitten no more than every two hours, if there is more than one. Anything over two hours and there is probably a problem. Your friends cat needs medical attention if she is still in labor after 10 hrs and only one kitten has been born.

ReputationRep:
    They have spoken to the vet and because the mum is quite relaxed all seems to be going well. i still think she should have called earlier. I gave my sis a right earful, saying exactly what you have said lol
    Ok scratch my last post then, it may be as I said she only had the one, sometimes the other fetuses are absorbed, especially in the first pregnancy, which I suspect this is her first. Your friend does realise that the mother needs to be seen by a vet w/ in 48 hrs after birth I assume, just to be sure the placenta has fully expelled and everything is normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Ok scratch my last post then, it may be as I said she only had the one, sometimes the other fetuses are absorbed, especially in the first pregnancy, which I suspect this is her first. Your friend does realise that the mother needs to be seen by a vet w/ in 48 hrs after birth I assume, just to be sure the placenta has fully expelled and everything is normal.
    firstly, not wanting to sound rude, but she is my sisters mate and for the record i hate my sister (think pheebs and ursula from friends (except we arent twins)). second, i think this woman had proved her limited intellegence so it wouldnt suprise me if she didnt think to take them to the vet tomorrow. my sis is visiting (eugk) tomorrow, so i will remind her to tell her friend. thanks for your advice tho

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.