Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, i'm on holiday in northern Spain staying in a place called Noja which is in-between Bilbao and Santander. Generally I'm having a great holiday but I'm just wondering if Spanish people dislike the English. On multiple occasions they seem to be very rude to us for no reason. Let me give a true example of my experience this morning. I went for a walk with my brother and passed a campsite. We thought we'd go in and have a look. A security guard approached us and asked for our caravan number. We explained that we just wanted to have a look round. He turned to us and said 'no get out' in an angry rude way for no reason. My brother then asked if he could quickly use the toilet. Again he shouted 'No get out' in an aggressive manner so we hastily left. We walked 100m to a cafe and thought we'd go in for a coffee and a milkshake. The waiter said go away we're shut for siesta! So we left and went to the cafe next door. Again we were met by a rude server. This person happened to speak English. We told him about next door being shut for siesta and that they turned us away. He bluntly told us that he probably just didn't like the look of us. We asked him what he meant and he said something about being treated badly when he went to London and that it's Payback time in an intimidating manner. We just sort of said Ok after a bit of questioning and finished our drinks and left. All these incidents were in the space of an hour or 2. Not just this but everywhere we've been the locals seem to be rude and at times intimidating towards us. We were not expecting this sort of hostility beforehand and remain baffled. Do they simply dislike the English? Are they annoyed because we left the EU? Is it just a northern Spain thing? We as a family couldn't be more friendly and we're just confused. Any responses would be appreciated. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    have heard from friends holidaying in Spain there has been some hostile reactions since brexit, will probably settle down after a bit of time. All my experiences there have been very pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo86)
    Is it just a northern Spain thing?
    My cousin lives in San-Sebastian and he hasn't had a bad word to say. I know this is only anecdotal though and I haven't spoken to him since before the referendum.

There's also the popular image of drunken Brits trashing the place which is why a lot of Spaniards holiday in Northern Spain and not the Costas.

ReputationRep:
    No I was in Spain a week ago. I saw a Spanish woman in a relationship with a British man. Locals were really kind to me. Idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo86)
    Hey everyone, i'm on holiday in northern Spain staying in a place called Noja which is in-between Bilbao and Santander. Generally I'm having a great holiday but I'm just wondering if Spanish people dislike the English. On multiple occasions they seem to be very rude to us for no reason. Let me give a true example of my experience this morning. I went for a walk with my brother and passed a campsite. We thought we'd go in and have a look. A security guard approached us and asked for our caravan number. We explained that we just wanted to have a look round. He turned to us and said 'no get out' in an angry rude way for no reason. My brother then asked if he could quickly use the toilet. Again he shouted 'No get out' in an aggressive manner so we hastily left. We walked 100m to a cafe and thought we'd go in for a coffee and a milkshake. The waiter said go away we're shut for siesta! So we left and went to the cafe next door. Again we were met by a rude server. This person happened to speak English. We told him about next door being shut for siesta and that they turned us away. He bluntly told us that he probably just didn't like the look of us. We asked him what he meant and he said something about being treated badly when he went to London and that it's Payback time in an intimidating manner. We just sort of said Ok after a bit of questioning and finished our drinks and left. All these incidents were in the space of an hour or 2. Not just this but everywhere we've been the locals seem to be rude and at times intimidating towards us. We were not expecting this sort of hostility beforehand and remain baffled. Do they simply dislike the English? Are they annoyed because we left the EU? Is it just a northern Spain thing? We as a family couldn't be more friendly and we're just confused. Any responses would be appreciated. Thank you.
    A lot of Europeans are bitter about the fact that we both had the chance, and temerity, to leave the EU. I did experience some hostility from some Dutch guys when I was on holiday. Just a few idiots.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if they look at history they have a lot of reasons to hate us.

ReputationRep:
    Probably have plenty of experience of the classic 'Brit on holiday' and has negative connotations from that

ReputationRep:
    Considering my bf is a Spaniard and I'm English born and bred I doubt it xD

Just do not dress like a Guiri, and you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    I'm spanish and we don't dislike you. We actually think that you are very polite (except for the ones that come here just to get drunk and throw themselves from balconies).
    Everywhere there's nice and rude people and you just had the bad luck to come across the rude ones

ReputationRep:
    Never had any trouble with them, but that might be because I speak Spanish

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.