Turn on thread page Beta

Exercise.....help needed... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Since exams are over and I am free...I want to make myself more fit!...but I haven't exercised in ages....I am the most unfit person in the world...
    So, how should I start?...I want something regular that won't be too aggressive but will also start putting me into shape....
    (I am a pretty skinny person anyway...I am just very unfit!)..
    any advice?....

ReputationRep:
    running? cross country? or walking??

ReputationRep:
    there are a zillion threads about this. imasillynarb (or whatever name he currently is, i've lost track wih the narbs) is the expert.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    there are a zillion threads about this. imasillynarb (or whatever name he currently is, i've lost track wih the narbs) is the expert.

lou xxx
    Right thanx....I guess I'll start seaeching!

ReputationRep:
    cycling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose in Bloom)
    Since exams are over and I am free...I want to make myself more fit!...but I haven't exercised in ages....I am the most unfit person in the world...
    So, how should I start?...I want something regular that won't be too aggressive but will also start putting me into shape....
    any advice?....
    I slacked off on exercise for awhile there and I feel out of shape myself. What I have been doing is stairclimbing, I got a manual one at a yardsale, it works, I feel more energetic now and I'm trimming down fast. I only use 4 or 5 times aweek, and I started at 100 steps and am now doing between 200 and 400 steps each time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    cycling?
    Thats very good! I used to do that, but got bored w/ it.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm....nice ideas here...I kinda liked the simplest one <walking!>,...but how often and for how long evryday...
    Remember I haven't ever excersied at a regular basis b4..only PE in school!

ReputationRep:
    any advice?....
    I am unfit and I have been trying to improove my fitness a good way to start is swimming I go three times a week and it isn't very bard but it will improove your fitness.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm....nice ideas here...I kinda liked the simplest one <walking!>,...but how often and for how long evryday...
    Remember I haven't ever excersied at a regular basis b4..only PE in school!
    The nice thing about walking is you really can't over do it. I would just start out with short walks, you can walk everyday making the trip abit further each day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    The nice thing about walking is you really can't over do it. I would just start out with short walks, you can walk everyday making the trip abit further each day.
    Whats ur opinion abt a treadmill...save me from the middle eastern heat!(it really is boiling out there!)...

ReputationRep:
    any advice?....
    Hi Rose In Bloom!

As you say you're skinny but unfit, you should think about rowing. There's no better sport to tone the WHOLE body. It's sometimes not very interesting for girls who aren't slim: you lose the fat but you gain body mass and if you stop training, you'll go back to your old fat self.
    I used to be quite skinny as a kid. But with so much training during my high school years and early uni years, I put on a lot of body mass. Now I'm about 75 to 80kg (175 lbs) for 6' and started to end up quite the opposite of skinny.

It might not be ideal for the summer but if you're planning to go to uni, think about joining the rowing team.

If you have a friend who's really into sports, find a sport you'd both enjoy and that they know quite a lot about: squash, tennis something like that. It's always more motivating if you're not alone.

Otherwise, if you end up on your own: anything from cycling to jogging will make you fit. Making your sessions more regular is more important than making them intensive...

ReputationRep:
    Yoga is Excellent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Yoga is Excellent
    I've always wanted to start yoga. The only drawback is that you don't burn that much fat even if your session is long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I've always wanted to start yoga. The only drawback is that you don't burn that much fat even if your session is long.
    I've been doing yoga for years and it's absolutely fantastic Try it! I do it once a week in addition to going to the gym several times per week, and it's a great combination because yoga really stretches, tones and conditions your muscles. Certain positions/routines which focus on specific areas will burn fat in those areas; you tend to repeat positions a couple of times so it's very focused on one small muscle group at a time (sometimes ones you didn't even know existed!) and in that sense can be more 'targeted' than traditional workouts. Always opt for longer classes (ideally 1.5hrs if you can) though as your muscles need time to warm up at the beginning and relax at the end for full effect. Give it a go, I walked out of my first yoga class feeling a difference in my entire body and it got me totally hooked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I've been doing yoga for years and it's absolutely fantastic Try it! I do it once a week in addition to going to the gym several times per week, and it's a great combination because yoga really stretches, tones and conditions your muscles. Certain positions/routines which focus on specific areas will burn fat in those areas; you tend to repeat positions a couple of times so it's very focused on one small muscle group at a time (sometimes ones you didn't even know existed!) and in that sense can be more 'targeted' than traditional workouts. Always opt for longer classes (ideally 1.5hrs if you can) though as your muscles need time to warm up at the beginning and relax at the end for full effect. Give it a go, I walked out of my first yoga class feeling a difference in my entire body and it got me totally hooked.
    Whos fed you all this rubbish?

I thought by now everyone knew that fat spot targeting or whatever you wanna call it is total and utter *******s?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly... You will not improve your C.V to any extent whilse laying on the floor making shapes with your legs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenarbisbanned)
    Whos fed you all this rubbish?
    No one - it's the effects I've observed in myself from doing yoga for all these years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    No one - it's the effects I've observed in myself from doing yoga for all these years.
    Fat spot burning doesnt exist, sorry. Where your body chooses its fat from, to be used as fuel, is genetic and you have no control over it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenarbisbanned)
    Fat spot burning doesnt exist, sorry. Where your body chooses its fat from, to be used as fuel, is genetic and you have no control over it..
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to say it did exist or that if you constantly worked one area you'd lose fat just from there. I was just trying to make the point that yoga isn't just lying around on the floor and that if you practise it consistently it can aid fat loss. Sorry if I was unclear.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.