This discussion is closed.
thenarbisbanned
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by slowjamz)
Sorry, I wasn't trying to say it did exist or that if you constantly worked one area you'd lose fat just from there. I was just trying to make the point that yoga isn't just lying around on the floor and that if you practise it consistently it can aid fat loss. Sorry if I was unclear.
OK
Mad_Monkey59
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You are mistaken... it isn't possible to choose wear u burn fat from as narb said.

What u are probably feeling is an increase in density on the muscle below the fat.
_Shines_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if you want to get into shape- go speak to your local gym, they are always helpful- they can set up a programme for you, as varied as you want- the dance classes and that are always a laugh!
jonas123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry, I wasn't trying to say it did exist or that if you constantly worked one area you'd lose fat just from there. I was just trying to make the point that yoga isn't just lying around on the floor and that if you practise it consistently it can aid fat loss. Sorry if I was unclear.
i'm sure thats wrong. The more you work on an area, the more fat goes there so as to build up an energy store for next time you work on that area.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 16 years ago
Ride a bike around somewhere, that's good enough.
jonas123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How is cycling is comparison to running. I always find running a lot more demanding and cycling i'd be able to go further afield..
tis_me_lord
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jonas123)
How is cycling is comparison to running. I always find running a lot more demanding and cycling i'd be able to go further afield..
I feel like a prat just running, riding a bike makes it look like you're actually doing something with a purpose.
slowjamz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jonas123)
i'm sure thats wrong. The more you work on an area, the more fat goes there so as to build up an energy store for next time you work on that area.
:confused: By that logic no one who exercised would ever lose fat...
thenarbisbanned
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
I feel like a prat just running, riding a bike makes it look like you're actually doing something with a purpose.
You are doing it for a purpose arent you?

What do you think when you see someone running?

Probably not 'what a prat hes going for a run hehehehe!'
tis_me_lord
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thenarbisbanned)
You are doing it for a purpose arent you?

What do you think when you see someone running?

Probably not 'what a prat hes going for a run hehehehe!'
I suppose not, i just think, 'they must be very stupid to be running next to a busy road....'
thenarbisbanned
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I suppose not, i just think, 'they must be very stupid to be running next to a busy road....'
What about a park or a field? Run there..
tis_me_lord
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thenarbisbanned)
What about a park or a field? Run there..
If i'm in a park or field i'm playing football or cricket, i also go cycling a lot around country lanes, don't worry about me i exercise plenty, believe is or not from my forum obsession.
thenarbisbanned
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If i'm in a park or field i'm playing football or cricket, i also go cycling a lot around country lanes, don't worry about me i exercise plenty, believe is or not from my forum obsession.
Im not worrying, just saying that theres nothing wrong with running and nobody will think youre a prat
Rose in Bloom
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Hi Rose In Bloom!

As you say you're skinny but unfit, you should think about rowing. There's no better sport to tone the WHOLE body. It's sometimes not very interesting for girls who aren't slim: you lose the fat but you gain body mass and if you stop training, you'll go back to your old fat self.
I used to be quite skinny as a kid. But with so much training during my high school years and early uni years, I put on a lot of body mass. Now I'm about 75 to 80kg (175 lbs) for 6' and started to end up quite the opposite of skinny.

It might not be ideal for the summer but if you're planning to go to uni, think about joining the rowing team.

If you have a friend who's really into sports, find a sport you'd both enjoy and that they know quite a lot about: squash, tennis something like that. It's always more motivating if you're not alone.

Otherwise, if you end up on your own: anything from cycling to jogging will make you fit. Making your sessions more regular is more important than making them intensive...
Hey yourself SamtheMan...
Good advice there....I like badminton (my fav sport- though I hardly play it)
Yeah I'll be going to univ soon....will see what they'll have to offer and then decide what to do....
Also, everyone else, thanx...I think I'll start with cycling and walking...
cheers
SamTheMan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've been doing yoga for years and it's absolutely fantastic Try it! I do it once a week in addition to going to the gym several times per week, and it's a great combination because yoga really stretches, tones and conditions your muscles. Certain positions/routines which focus on specific areas will burn fat in those areas; you tend to repeat positions a couple of times so it's very focused on one small muscle group at a time (sometimes ones you didn't even know existed!) and in that sense can be more 'targeted' than traditional workouts. Always opt for longer classes (ideally 1.5hrs if you can) though as your muscles need time to warm up at the beginning and relax at the end for full effect. Give it a go, I walked out of my first yoga class feeling a difference in my entire body and it got me totally hooked.
Yeh, you're right about it toning the body.
I remember when I had to do intensive body building when I used to row competitively. You'd have these idiots doing exercises willy nilly and you can see how they're damaging their spine, their neck. A lot don't even stretch properly after. I had a trainer who was so strict on stretching. I'm glad I listened to him.
I wouldn't want to look like the hunchback of Notredame
Rose in Bloom
Rep:
?
I believe you...I am sure u excercise alot....afterall, moving your fingers is exercising them right?!!
thenarbisbanned
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh, you're right about it toning the body.
I remember when I had to do intensive body building when I used to row competitively. You'd have these idiots doing exercises willy nilly and you can see how they're damaging their spine, their neck. A lot don't even stretch properly after. I had a trainer who was so strict on stretching. I'm glad I listened to him.
'intensive' bodybuilding, lol

Why do you need to stretch for bodybuilding?
tis_me_lord
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Rose in Bloom)
I believe you...I am sure u excercise alot....afterall, moving your fingers is exercising them right?!!
lol i was talking about that with my fave moddie only yesterday, indeed my fingers are very fit and healthy.
Rose in Bloom
Rep:
?
LOL!....
I remember there was a girl in our lower grade....she was soooooo flexible...I mean she was like a rag doll and could turn her back and neck and legs in any direction!...it was scary!!!!:shocked:
me, I can't even sit on my knees for too long without getting them cramped and stiff!
Rose in Bloom
Rep:
?
lol i was talking about that with my fave moddie only yesterday, indeed my fingers are very fit and healthy.
No arthiritis (sp!) for you in your old age for sure
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.86%
I'm not sure (31)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
32.08%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.26%
I'm not a current university student (313)
47.14%

Watched Threads