Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone realised how many empty seats there have been at certain events at the Olympics this month? Especially how events in 2012 in London were always seen as jam-packed. I'm definitely sure that many people would have wanted to buy tickets for the Olympics. So the question I want to know, where is everyone?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by the_malis)
    Has anyone realised how many empty seats there have been at certain events at the Olympics this month? Especially how events in 2012 in London were always seen as jam-packed. I'm definitely sure that many people would have wanted to buy tickets for the Olympics. So the question I want to know, where is everyone?
    On the beach.

Or not able to afford tickets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mass boycott.

You're aware that much of Brazil is in a state of poverty? I wouldn't be happy if I couldn't afford to eat, and the government was spending $6 Billion on a sporting event, much less a sporting event I don't care about, only two years after another global sporting event.

The Brazillian economy is almost in free-fall, and they're just haemorrhaging money at the moment, when there are people starving in the streets.

That's probably why it was so empty, compared to London, that's in a wealthy country, and has the sporting pedigree to justify still using most of what was built.

ReputationRep:
    I was in Rio for the first few days of the Olympics and it was actually hard (and very very) expensive to get tickets for some events. I wanted to go see the beach volleyball and couldn't even though the stadium was half empty.

A lot of the tickets go to corporate sponsors or the IOC who either don't show up, or try to sell them on for a profit.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2016-0...-touting-scam/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_malis)
    I think you are suffering from false memory syndrome

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...row-QandA.html

A major problem is that most of the (non-government) cost of the games is paid for by global sponsors. Coca Cola has been sponsoring the Olympics since 1928. As the games does not allow advertising in venues, the principal way in which sponsors are rewarded is by free tickets. These sponsors invite key suppliers and customers on corporate jollies or offer tickets as prizes in competitions.

These sponsors' guests and competition winners are unlikely to be sports nuts and the Olympics tend to be held in glamorous cities that do not close down their other attractions for the duration.

Assume you have won an all expenses paid trip to Rio with a package of Olympic tickets.

Would you go to see the mens' 100 metres final? Probably "yes". Would you go and see a handball preliminary round or visit the Christ the Redeemer statue instead?

The other problem is that the market is segmented nationally, but unsold tickets either offered on general sale or distributed via national sporting associations are not returned for resale.

Going forward, the games will probably adopt an airline style arrangement where tickets need to be "checked in" before the events and any tickets not checked in are offered for resale.

You simply couldn't have solved these problems in Rio in this way because except for the most popular events at the smallest venues there wasn't a large unmet local demand

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.