Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jezebel refuses to acknowledge No Man's Sky, because title is supposedly sexist Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://jezebel.com/why-isnt-it-calle...sky-1785411230

Lol. And they say Milo Yiannopolous is just a troll...

Of course, the sad thing is that there are people who actually take this crap seriously.

ReputationRep:
    >Saw title
    >Alt-F4ed out of Chrome

I used to have the patience to read this cancer, but not any more.

[Edit]
    Love how the article is two paragraphs long and has no substance other than criticising the game as being "anti-feminist" (the horror!)

And then the empty shell of an argument gets demolished by this comment here:
    I hope this has been mentioned around here before, and I don’t expect anyone cares, but historically “man” was a gender-neutral term (back in the middle ages the prefixes wer- and wif- specified “male man” or “female man”). This has a legacy in our modern language in the same sort of way that words that came to us from French origins have a different feel to them than German-based words we use that mean the exact same thing. We’re a lot more preoccupied with inclusiveness and gender than those that came before us. Languages have a lot of historical inertia and change over time mostly organically, so it’s a lot more likely for average people to notice an oddly named video game than to be bothered by something with “man” in the title. The “man” in the title of this game isn’t intended to be exclusive, it just has a different feel to it than saying “no one’s sky” or “no human’s sky” or “nobody’s sky.” I don’t think the studio probably thought that far into it and I expect they had no intention of making the title gendered.

One really does need to wonder what the author would be doing before the days of the internet.

ReputationRep:
    firstly whos or whats Jezebel?

secondly, why are people so dumb? when something says "man" it is referring to mankind, meaning humanity- all humans.

idiots

ReputationRep:
    As a feminist, gotta say this is a load of codswallop.

The default pronoun is masculine. It makes the language easier. It's like saying "no one's sky", except that doesn't flow off the tongue very well (neither does woman).

I don't give a flying toss about that and I think people who care have got way too much time on their hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)

Of course, the sad thing is that there are people who actually take this crap seriously.
    **** me

ReputationRep:
    I saw that but it's Jezebel hardly the peak of journalism.

Why on earth would you click on Jezebel though? I hope you have ad-block enabled at least.

ReputationRep:
    It's a troll guys chill. The company that owns jezebel is effectively dead at this point, so the writers decided to have some fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    It's a troll guys chill. The company that owns jezebel is effectively dead at this point, so the writers decided to have some fun.
    TG for human sanity

ReputationRep:

Milo Yiannopolous is a troll. That's not to say he doesn't make some valid points, but he himself admits he purposely tries to piss people off and seek a reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Milo Yiannopolous is a troll. That's not to say he doesn't make some valid points, but he himself admits he purposely tries to piss people off and seek a reaction.
    Yeh, but he isn't just doing it for the sake of pissing people off, he's trying to draw out people's true colours by getting them to react. So I wouldn't say he's "just" a troll.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, but he isn't just doing it for the sake of pissing people off, he's trying to draw out people's true colours by getting them to react. So I wouldn't say he's "just" a troll.
    He's doing it for both. A large amount though, as he admits is simply to piss people off. As well as making him a troll, it generally makes him an unpleasant person.

He isn't 'just' a troll. He's obviously a very clever and sharp witted person. He makes some valid points. But he does and says things just to annoy people. Listen, I think Toby Young for example is an arrogant toss pot. But he's not a troll, he says what he genuinely thinks and doesn't try to be a ****, he justis.

The difference is that Milos tries to be a ****, he tries to be a troll and tries to annoy people, for the sake of his own amusement.

If any man is interested: The word "man" even used to be gender neutral, and used to refer to both men and women.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ender-neutral/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.