Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When is it ok to break the law? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it ever ok?

ReputationRep:
    It is ok sometimes one example would be to save lives.

ReputationRep:
    Simple,
    calculate the cost
    and the outcome.
    I could steal some allergy medication from the counter and rush to give to the injured victim.
    Perhaps i was homeless and had no money in the first place but understood he was suffering from an allergy.
    Easy.
    Perhaps this is why im pro nhs........

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes laws need to be broken for the greater good. E.g. On a big scale, a corrupt government may have laws which oppress the people. If you were to take part in a resistance against the corrupt regime, you would be breaking the law of that country but it would be for the greater good of the people. Viva La Resistance

ReputationRep:
    As a rule of thumb try not to okay? Not if you want to stay out of trouble!?

ReputationRep:
    It's never simply 'ok' to break the law, but sometimes it's necessary (life or death/protecting the innocent etc)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    we break laws all the time, those unobvious ridiculous laws that even authorities forget about

ReputationRep:
    To save your children or mum/dad/siblings

ReputationRep:
    It depends which laws we're talking about.

In Israel, you're not allowed to bring bears to the beach.

Well I'm sorry but if I had a bear I'd want him to get to feel the sand under his paws and go for a swim in the sea, I think breaking this law is perfectly acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Also having a sexual relationship with a porcupine is illegal in Florida.

If anyone reading this can relate to this, you should never let your government tell you who you can and can't be with. That's just taking it too far.

ReputationRep:
    It's illegal to carry a plank along a pavement. I personally think that's ok.

http://www.lawcom.gov.uk/wp-content/...l_Oddities.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Stealing food to feed your starving family is definitely something I would consider 'a slap on the wrist' offence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thinkabout)
    Is it ever ok?
    Of course it is. Humans have made (several) legal systems but morality has existed long before any laws.

Also, if you look at laws of non-UK countries you will see some shocking things that are completely against our (British) general moral standards. Human-created laws are not universal and they are not applicable across all cultures/communities/nations because of the lack of consistency in ethics across cultures.

There are plenty of laws that you have most probably already 'broken' according to another county's law and likewise with those people inhabiting those other countries 'breaking' our laws.

Just as you can legitimately disagree with the laws of other countries because they offend your morals (i.e. laws against women driving), you can legitimately disagree with laws of your own country. Just because you happen to be born into a particular set of legal constraints does not mean that particular legal system is 100% correct and you must have full confidence and belief in it. You should question it just as much as you would question any other legal system.

Now, there are some laws against murder, for example, that we all ''agree'' with, but, under certain circumstances everyone would break that law in one way or another (self defense, euthanasia, retribution) and I'm not saying they're universally legitimate reasons in all circumstances but they are someone's legitimate reasons and in terms of murder/retribution etc, whilst the death penalty still exist in many countries, it's laughable to even argue for a universal law against murder in any country since you're either a country who does it or tacitly condones it by dealing with those countries.

ReputationRep:
    A freind of mine took a coffee mug from a famous high street coffee shop. He was caught by security arrested by 'The Police', summoned to court and got 21 days inside. ( he'd stolen other cups too)

Anyway breaking the law means you could do Bird. As the rap corus goes: "The lads are playin prison 4s coz they broke some laws. Prison 4s is a game played by 2 prison cells often resulting in a black eye if it gets outta hand. You also have the Arran Brotherhood, various extremist jihadist gangs and a diet of boiled cabbage pie.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.