Should I do Maths and Philosophy at Uni with only maths and science subjects?

Watch
carolinehj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've just finished Y12 and am doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry A levels (was original going to do history instead of chemistry but my school didn't offer the combination), and was wondering whether not having an arts or essay subject would hinder my application to a course of maths and philosophy which will probably involve writing lots of essays during the degree.

What could prepare me for the philosophy side of it apart from reading philosophy books? - although if you have any good philosophy books to recommend that would be rly helpful )
SunnysideSea
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by carolinehj)
I've just finished Y12 and am doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry A levels (was original going to do history instead of chemistry but my school didn't offer the combination), and was wondering whether not having an arts or essay subject would hinder my application to a course of maths and philosophy which will probably involve writing lots of essays during the degree.

What could prepare me for the philosophy side of it apart from reading philosophy books? - although if you have any good philosophy books to recommend that would be rly helpful )
Look on Cambridge's Philosophy BA website - they have a good list of recommended reading. Lacking an essay subject may hinder you slightly, but it's certainly not insurmountable and if your application is strong across most areas I doubt it would be a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by carolinehj)

What could prepare me for t philosophy side of it apart from reading philosophy books? - although if you have any good philosophy books to recommend that would be rly helpful )
I can only speak on what Oxford philosophy tutors have said on the matter, and they don't mind much the absence of an essay-based subject, certainly if they're otherwise convinced of the Maths & Phil applicant's ability to succeed on the course.
carolinehj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for your advice, really reassuring
Gunjan Bhatt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also great list:
https://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/undergr...y-reading-list

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.38%
I don't have everything I need (352)
43.62%

Watched Threads