Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to have to take a gap year before I apply to medicine, and the thought of being a year older than everyone doesn't seem too nice haha (Not that I'm really upset), but I was just wondering what the split was in a year between the number of applicants that got in first time round, and the number of applicants who got 4 rejections/missed out on grades first time round and then got in the second year applying (as in people who have applied with achieved A2 grades)?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 18 years older than most. Don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    30-50%. No one cares about your age honestly. You can't even tell the difference most of the time
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just one year older will not make you stand out. In the slightest.

I'd estimate <5% were re applicants (neither me nor the two people I just asked ever knowingly met one) but I suspect Oxford is something of an anomaly.

ReputationRep:
    When you're in school or college, people in the year below or above seem alien.

Let me tell you that nothing is like that in uni, especially with medicine.

Loads of people in my year group are way older than 18. Some of them studied arts subjects and chose medicine later on in life; some took two gap years; I know a guy who did a masters in engineering before medicine, and in fact one lady is currently studying medicine in her 30s because she chose to run a business for ten years or so before going to uni.
    And on top of that, there are all the bioscience grads (ie those who did a biomedical science BSc et cetera) who apply for graduate entry into medicine too.

Believe me, 1 year of age difference won't mean diddly squat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezoar)
    When you're in school or college, people in the year below or above seem alien.

Let me tell you that nothing is like that in uni, especially with medicine.

Loads of people in my year group are way older than 18. Some of them studied arts subjects and chose medicine later on in life; somee took two gap years; I know a guy who did a masters in engineering before medicine, and in fact one lady is currently studying medicine in her 30s because she chose to run a business for ten years or so before going to uni.
    And on top of that, there are all the bioscience grads (ie those who did a biomedical science BSc et cetera) who apply for graduate entry into medicine too.

Believe me, 1 year of age difference won't mean diddly squat.
    I'll be 36 on Thursday. I start med next month!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan1980)
    I'll be 36 on Thursday. I start med next month!
    How exciting! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say because you'd only know if they told you, being one year older doesn't make you stand out in the cohort at all. I can think of 5 people off the top of my head who were older for various reasons, two of them were 3 years older and I had no idea. I'm sure there are many more who I just don't know about, probably even people I've known for years

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.