Telling Student Finance I am having a baby & childcare grant hours allowed

Watch
Kay159
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Going into final year of degree. Baby due October. Student finance in place, own home, partner working, childcare arranged.
Know it will be hard but figured I can do this if managed years 1 and 2 with other issues so having decided and planned study time when do I tell student finance and hoe long will it take to process the changes and release the funding for childcare
Was advised to enrol and get the first payment as a change may delay things and obviously until the baby is here the changes cant be applied
Atm plan is to enrol Sept and mix of attendance and study to due date. 2 weeks off study following birth then home study followed by phased return to be back full time after the christmas break. Uni are supportive and aware I can manage this as had a high risk pregnancy and passed year 2 with no issues even though had hospitalisations etc
I know a lot of people will think I will feel differently once the baby is here but I am doing this for my baby. I live 2 miles from campus and can still be there the majority of the time. I am doing this for him and to give him and my family a better future.
So the question is do I tell student finance immediately after the birth and then how long will it take to adjust the figures.
Oh and if anyone claimes Childcare support are these limited to timetabled hours or study hours and turorials and transport. I guess the question is as a full.time student how many hours a week were you granted and were these term time only.
Many thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kay159)
Going into final year of degree. Baby due October. Student finance in place, own home, partner working, childcare arranged.
Know it will be hard but figured I can do this if managed years 1 and 2 with other issues so having decided and planned study time when do I tell student finance and hoe long will it take to process the changes and release the funding for childcare
Was advised to enrol and get the first payment as a change may delay things and obviously until the baby is here the changes cant be applied
Atm plan is to enrol Sept and mix of attendance and study to due date. 2 weeks off study following birth then home study followed by phased return to be back full time after the christmas break. Uni are supportive and aware I can manage this as had a high risk pregnancy and passed year 2 with no issues even though had hospitalisations etc
I know a lot of people will think I will feel differently once the baby is here but I am doing this for my baby. I live 2 miles from campus and can still be there the majority of the time. I am doing this for him and to give him and my family a better future.
So the question is do I tell student finance immediately after the birth and then how long will it take to adjust the figures.
Oh and if anyone claimes Childcare support are these limited to timetabled hours or study hours and turorials and transport. I guess the question is as a full.time student how many hours a week were you granted and were these term time only.
Many thanks
Congratulations - it's good that you've got your university onside. Most maternity/paternity payments require proof from your doctor/midwife - you should be able to get a MATB1 certificate - doctors and midwives will give you this no more than 20 weeks before the due date. So you should be able to apply now. Call SFE to get any forms etc sent through. I'd recommend speaking to your university about how many hours a week they expect you to study (including independent study - not just timetabled) and then to try for the maximum childcare grant. Knowing how timetables work that should make it easier to schedule your independent study to work between timetabled sessions to minimise travel time (and avoid you trying to write a dissertation while also personally looking after your baby).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads