Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    Hey Guys,

    I am in a really complicated situation. I've just graduated in engineering and am now living with parents back home. I have always been really anxious and struggled with anxiety during my entire academic life. The main reason why I started drinking was to hide this anxiety. I began drinking a LOT! to make it go away but I guess this had a massive counterproductive effect. I began to be drunk so much that I lost all my friends and now when I try to make new friends I feel like I have to be really drunk to socialise and then I make something stupid that I never see the person again.

    I really think I have a big problem and am not sure how I can stop this and make me some friends (healthy way). The last few days I started blacking out on busses and getting lost during the night after clubbing. My parents are seriously mad at me. I told them yesterday that I have a problem and they simply stopped talking to me. I tried therapy last year but that didn't help. I'm not sure whether the therapist wasn't good or something but I didn't see any change. I don't think I can carry on this way anymore - It's been nearly 5 years where I have this awful habit. I have lost so many stuff because of the way I drink before I go out. My friends literally left me and all I got is my family. The only people I can talk to.

    I feel guilty. I don't think I can cope with this lifestyle anymore. I am so tired. Should I seek help again to solve this anxiety issue ? Thanks

    there is support available through doctors and such. i got put on tablets which put me off the drinking pretty much. it really is a dark place and it makes you feel alienated. therapy doesnt work for everyone either ive been through it all before. im now on my way to being diagnosed with aspergers syndrome and adhd. i hope that you get back to me x take care
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2016
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.