Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have seen on the gov website that I may be entitled to income support whilst studying but there's no info about it! I am currently on full income support and will be claiming the bursary and student finance starting September. I am a single mum and was wondering if anyone in my situation could claim it? Or housing benefit? Thankyou c

ReputationRep:
    You won't get income support. You may get some housing benefit though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, you will be able to claim housing benefit. But parts of the bursary will be classed as an income, so this will only be some help not full entitlement. You can also claim child tax credits. And of course as all students you will be exempt from council tax. Hope this helps 😀

ReputationRep:
    I only get 25% off my council tax but I suppose it depends on your council

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nursinghopeful15)
    Hi, you will be able to claim housing benefit. But parts of the bursary will be classed as an income, so this will only be some help not full entitlement. You can also claim child tax credits. And of course as all students you will be exempt from council tax. Hope this helps 😀
    Do u know which parts? Thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Any of the child elements are not classed as an income such as the dependents allowance and parent learning so are excluded I think. The rest of the bursery would be classed as income and would go towards working out your housing benefit allowance x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    I only get 25% off my council tax but I suppose it depends on your council

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi just a quick question. Do you live with someone who works and there for eligible to pay council tax or do you live alone ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi just a quick question. Do you live with someone who works and there for eligible to pay council tax or do you live alone ?
    I live with my boyfriend yes and I can still get the discount as I'm named on the council tax also

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's ok, that's why you only get a 25% discount as there is someone in the household eligible to pay council tax, rather than it being an individual council choice. as the lady asking the question I'm presuming lives on her own so will not have to pay council tax

ReputationRep:
    That's ok, that's why you only get a 25% discount as there is someone in the household eligible to pay council tax, rather than it being an individual council choice. as the lady asking the question I'm presuming lives on her own so will not have to pay council tax
    No. Everyone even single people only get 25%. We all got a form in the first week stating that. Like I said it all depends on council. Yours may be different

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And also single people get a single person discount so yes maybe it would be next to nothing. Student nurses do not get free council tax where I'm from

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And also single people get a single person discount so yes maybe it would be next to nothing. Student nurses do not get free council tax where I'm from

Posted from TSR Mobile
    According to the government website every full time student is exempt from council tax Name:  image.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  148.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    According to the government website every full time student is exempt from council tax Name:  image.jpg
    Look I've questioned this countless times. I'm really not lying lol. Pre reg (nurses, research etc) DO NOT get free council tax. I can't explain why. I think it's all down to us getting a bursery and tuition fees paid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471810990.160125.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  118.2 KB
    This is from my local councils website

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Look I've questioned this countless times. I'm really not lying lol. Pre reg (nurses, research etc) DO NOT get free council tax. I can't explain why. I think it's all down to us getting a bursery and tuition fees paid

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry didn't mean to question you. And obviously you know what you pay lol
    But think we are both correct in what we are saying. As a student living in a household with other ppl it is not free from council tax it is a 25 % discount. But a single person living with children would in essence be exempt from council tax as they are the only person elegiable

ReputationRep:
    Sorry didn't mean to question you. And obviously you know what you pay lol
    But think we are both correct in what we are saying. As a student living in a household with other ppl it is not free from council tax it is a 25 % discount. But a single person living with children would in essence be exempt from council tax as they are the only person elegiable
    My friend is single and she gets single person discount and 25% off. Like I said earlier it's all down to your local council. It's not a national thing.....which I too thought it was until we started this course. She doesn't pay a lot with the discount in place also but definitely doesn't get it for free

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are single AND a full-time student you are exempt from paying council tax. The discount applies where full council tax is based on 2 or more people in a household, what the council site is explaining that if someone in your household is a student/student nurse, i.e one person, then the other person(S) (should they not come under the list for exemption) qualify for a discount (usually 25%). In this lady's case as she is single she currently qualifies for 25% discount but if she starts a full-time course, she will therefore be classed as a student and as the only adult in the household will not pay council tax.

Hope that helps, not sure if I've explained it as clearly as I could have!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.