The Student Room Group

Accommodation or live at home?

Anyone living at home rather than on campus? How far will you be traveling and how long on average will it take?
I don't know which to choose so any advice would be much appreciated. According to Google maps it will take me on average around 1hr 40 mins to commute through London to my Uni. Is it worth?
It depends. If you don't have much money, and are willing to get up quite early for any delays ect when you go to uni (traffic ect.) would you drive or walk? It is quite a long way to walk, but if it takes that long to drive there (or cycle) you must be quite far away. If you can afford it, and would like to live in accommodation, then try it. If you need to save money, and don't mind the long journey each time, then try staying at home. If you take the bus, you have to remember to bring the right money. Sounds obvious, but you don't want to be late because you had to walk / cycle, and you don't want to be stuck at uni with no bus money (although I am sure that one of your friends could lend it to you?)

But please, don't take my word. I don't go to uni yet
Reply 2
Original post by TehCodingMaster
It depends. If you don't have much money, and are willing to get up quite early for any delays ect when you go to uni (traffic ect.) would you drive or walk? It is quite a long way to walk, but if it takes that long to drive there (or cycle) you must be quite far away. If you can afford it, and would like to live in accommodation, then try it. If you need to save money, and don't mind the long journey each time, then try staying at home. If you take the bus, you have to remember to bring the right money. Sounds obvious, but you don't want to be late because you had to walk / cycle, and you don't want to be stuck at uni with no bus money (although I am sure that one of your friends could lend it to you?)

But please, don't take my word. I don't go to uni yet

Thanks for your advice. That's by taking public transport. bus>tube>bus. I wouldn't mind the long journeys but my parents are really against it which is driving me mad :s-smilie:
Original post by Khoala
Thanks for your advice. That's by taking public transport. bus>tube>bus. I wouldn't mind the long journeys but my parents are really against it which is driving me mad :s-smilie:

I don't recommend it either, you'll miss out on a lot of time that you'll need for studying, although you could do it on public transport. And you'll miss out on the social aspect of things.
How sociable are you? I personally would hate missing out on so much of the nightlife and just the general experience of living with friends and becoming independent. How much would this bother you?
Reply 5
Original post by simbasdragon
How sociable are you? I personally would hate missing out on so much of the nightlife and just the general experience of living with friends and becoming independent. How much would this bother you?

I'm not too bothered about the social life, I'm not really a party person lol :P but I wouldn't mind living with friends and learning to live on my own.
Original post by Khoala

Do you know why they are against it?

Is it because they want you stay at home with them, or for other reasons (such as financial reasons, if they are helping to fund the costs)?

If you can find out why they are against it, you might be able to come up with a counter argument that could change their minds?

For example they might not want you to travel all that way on your own, just say it could make you more independent?
Original post by Khoala
Anyone living at home rather than on campus? How far will you be traveling and how long on average will it take?
I don't know which to choose so any advice would be much appreciated. According to Google maps it will take me on average around 1hr 40 mins to commute through London to my Uni. Is it worth?

Hello :smile:

I lived on campus in my first year of university, purely because I lived an hour away from university and I wasn't willing to travel that far close to everyday - it would have sucked finances and energy from me - plus, I wanted the university life experience and it was the best decision I ever made because a couple of years later and I'm still living in the city because it's like home to me.

At the end of the day, it's if you feel you can do it and want to do it. An hour and forty minutes is a long commute but some people could feel that they could do that.
I'd personally suggest accommodation because it's a fantastic experience but it's what you feel comfortable with - I'd research all options.

Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending