Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently received a tenancy agreement to sign for a residential dwelling house on Upperton Road. While reading the agreement I found that the contract stated that I was going to pay a summer retainer on the property equivalent of half-rent and then pay full rent afterwards.
    I was wondering if anyone else who has applied, is going to stay, or has previously stayed at SULETS Upperton road had to do the same thing? Has anyone ever not payed the retainer? Is is possible to not pay the retainer?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, a lot of properties have this and you have to pay. Annoying, but Sulets are a lot better than a lot of the companies out there.

ReputationRep:
    hi, im going to upperton road and saw this as well, i havent paid anything as im unsure on what to do. But, all seems okay so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeWeatherstone)
    hi, im going to upperton road and saw this as well, i havent paid anything as im unsure on what to do. But, all seems okay so far
    Yeah you don't have to pay. I found out the day after I posted this. Also what floor will you be staying. I'm moving in on my own and none of my friends will be going to the same uni. It would be nice to know someone before I get there.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i found out today haha! I'm unsure what floor I'm on? i only know my room number. How do i find out? and yes im in the same boat, i know no one!

ReputationRep:
    Yes i found out today haha! I'm unsure what floor I'm on? i only know my room number. How do i find out? and yes im in the same boat, i know no one!
    You can check on the SULETS website using the room finder. Just find your room number and that'll show you what floor you are on. Looks like we already have something in common haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsgavin)
    You can check on the SULETS website using the room finder. Just find your room number and that'll show you what floor you are on. Looks like we already have something in common haha.
    I am on the fourth floor! what about you?

ReputationRep:
    I am on the fourth floor! what about you?
    I'm on the fourth floor too!! This is pretty awesome! PM me man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsgavin)
    I'm on the fourth floor too!! This is pretty awesome! PM me man.
    I think i just did but i'm no expert on this website haha

ReputationRep:
    That's cute awww, I'm staying there too and also are you talking about the £625 you have to pay before our loan drops ?

ReputationRep:
    No we were talking about the summer retainer which is half the first payment you can make if you want to ensure that no one stays in your room before your tenancy starts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.