Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I originally applied for a major in History and minor in American studies, however I am considering to change to American studies with an International year for the sake of having an international year as well as enjoying learning about America more so than doing History.

I didn't think I would go to Keele, but things happened and I accepted my place.

However I was wondering if it is possible to have an Erasmus year, despite choosing a course that didn't have an Erasmus year built in?

Also what is the part-time job situation like? Are there are a lot/few opportunities for having a part-time job.

Many thanks for those who answer.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! That's great you're coming to Keele.

There was an open day you could have gone to but I think you can still go to an Independent Visit:
    http://www.keele.ac.uk/visiting/independentvisits/

I'd highly recommend you do that so you can see how awesome Keele is

Yes, I think you can change it to having an international year. If you want to do this you'll need to say it very early on (from what I understand it should be stated in the first year but I think you may need to let them know now (call them) that you want to change it to just American Studies with an International year).
    You also need to meet the requirements of the good grades when you're studying at Keele to be able study abroad. When you graduate it'll say "American Studies with International Year" on your degree.

They say this on the site:

No additional tuition fees are payable for studying abroad but students do have to bear the costs of travelling to and from their destination university, accommodation, food and personal costs.
    (From https://www.keele.ac.uk/ugcourses/americanstudies (under the 'Study abroad' tab).

However, I may be wrong about this but I think they charge you just over £1000 for the year for an international year and you need to pay for travel and accommodation, etc yourself. At least that's what I was told by someone who deals with students going abroad at Keele (maybe it's different for that course?)
    Call up and ask

I don't really know about part-time jobs but the Student Union should have some available, when you visit you can ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catinsomehat)
    Congratulations! That's great you're coming to Keele.
    What are you going to be studying?

There was an open day you could have gone to but I think you can still go to an Independent Visit:
    http://www.keele.ac.uk/visiting/independentvisits/

I'd highly recommend you do that so you can see how awesome Keele is

Yes, I think you can change it to having an international year. If you want to do this you'll need to say it very early on (from what I understand it should be stated in the first year but I think you may need to let them know now (call them) that you want to change it to just American Studies with an International year).
    You also need to meet the requirements of the good grades when you're studying at Keele to be able study abroad. When you graduate it'll say "American Studies with International Year" on your degree.

They say this on the site:

(From https://www.keele.ac.uk/ugcourses/americanstudies (under the 'Study abroad' tab).

However, I may be wrong about this but I think they charge you just over £1000 for the year for an international year and you need to pay for travel and accommodation, etc yourself. At least that's what I was told by someone who deals with students going abroad at Keele (maybe it's different for that course?)
    Call up and ask

I don't really know about part-time jobs but the Student Union should have some available, when you visit you can ask.

Thanks for replying, I already contacted admissions at Keele and they said that they cannot do course changes until enrolment so I'm assuming that means having Erasmus or changing courses.
    Many thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.