Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was one grade away from meeting my firm offer so I got accepted into my insurance at Westminster to study business management. However I've been having doubts about the university due to a lot of negative reviews I've read. Goldsmiths offered me a place for English and History, which are two subjects I enjoyed at A level, at a university which seems to have a better reputation. I'm very confused about what to do because on one hand I want to do the business management course but I'm worried about what I've read about the university. I would also like to do English and History but I'm also worried about choosing it because my job prospects might be worse off. I only have until Monday to decide so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    i know people who go/went to both, both are pretty much the same ....
    westminster is **** though, but not greatly so.
    I would honestly go for which one is closer to your home and which course you want to do, both are pretty much the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    i know people who go/went to both, both are pretty much the same ....
    westminster is **** though, but not greatly so.
    I would honestly go for which one is closer to your home and which course you want to do, both are pretty much the same.
    I'm still living in Belfast and have sorted my accommodation yet so I could live near either but rooms are much cheaper near Goldsmiths. People are telling me that my job prospects would be better if I did business management, but at the same time if the university isn't that good wouldn't that have an impact on my job prospects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke136)
    I'm still living in Belfast and have sorted my accommodation yet so I could live near either but rooms are much cheaper near Goldsmiths. People are telling me that my job prospects would be better if I did business management, but at the same time if the university isn't that good wouldn't that have an impact on my job prospects?
    Not greatly so as long as you get a great degree, but westminster is a journalism school.. and goldsmiths is by far the better school. goldsmiths is also in south london, which has cheap housing, but westminster is close to east london, which also has cheap housing, both on par with each other really, though the price of housing in london is stupidly high, as a londoner i never understood why people from outside of here would want to come here.
    Worst case if you want to go westminster you can stay a year there and go to another UNI, your second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke136)
    You can have good prospects with a humanity degree, a lot of the jobs aimed at management students let you apply with any degree as long as it's a 2:1 or above. Plus a 2:1 from Goldsmiths will look better than the same from Westminster, also I'm not sure but Goldsmiths may be part of the University of London which carries prestige. Good luck !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.