Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, as the title says I was 1 mark of an A. I got the following ums:C1: 78C2: 83M1: 78I was looking into remarking, but I don't know what tests I should get remarked. The easy choice would be to get c1 and m1 remarked, however I'm not sure about getting m1 remarked as I found it the hardest out of all 3 and the grade boundaries were quite low for it. How often when a test is remarked does the mark go up or down? Would remarking the c2 test be worth it even though it's 83 ums?Any opinions or help on what I should do would be appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Papers for things like maths, well, don't really get marked wrong - there's right and wrong answers so it's quite rare that it would change by very much if at all.

Since this is still AS I'd suggest not worrying about it and just trying to do your best next year :cute:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MoonLight726)
    Hi, as the title says I was 1 mark of an A. I got the following ums:C1: 78C2: 83M1: 78I was looking into remarking, but I don't know what tests I should get remarked. The easy choice would be to get c1 and m1 remarked, however I'm not sure about getting m1 remarked as I found it the hardest out of all 3 and the grade boundaries were quite low for it. How often when a test is remarked does the mark go up or down? Would remarking the c2 test be worth it even though it's 83 ums?Any opinions or help on what I should do would be appreciated. Thanks
    On one hand, maths mark schemes are very strict and remarks aren't worth it. On another hand, trying to get C1 and M1 remarked might just be enough to get you that 1 UMS... unless you also lose 1 UMS lol.

Just retake them next year.

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth, I know three people personally who's had their Edexcel maths paper remarked and obtained a higher UMS. Two of them would have missed their A* grade by one UMS and the other by two. They had their C4 paper remarked and the added UMS got them their A*s. Not sure what's up with that but if you've had a very near miss, I think it's absolutely worth a remark.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty difficult to mark a mathematics paper incorrectly. It is unlikely you'll can any marks and you risk losing some. 1 mark off isnt bad at all, and when you do A2 all you need to do is average 1 mark greater than an A to get an A overall.

Depending on how you feel, you could resit C1 next year after you know the content of C3/4, since C1 becomes significantly easier (90 ums ought to be a cake-walk). It isn't worth resitting M1 unless you're at least doing M2 for A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scykei)
    For what it's worth, I know three people personally who's had their Edexcel maths paper remarked and obtained a higher UMS. Two of them would have missed their A* grade by one UMS and the other by two. They had their C4 paper remarked and the added UMS got them their A*s. Not sure what's up with that but if you've had a very near miss, I think it's absolutely worth a remark.
    It happens, but for AS I don't believe it's worth it. For A2 you may be only just missing out on a university offer, so it is understandable. Most people who don't achieve an A in C1 resit it anyway the following year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree. If you're taking C3 and C4, C1 will wouldn't be too much effort anyway. Near miss remarks for AS math are only really worth it if that is your final mark and you don't plan to continue to A2.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info and help 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.