Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got my AS results back and am pretty upset. My history grade was a C, however in class I've never gotten below an A! I'm also upset as I really wanted to study history at uni and now have lost hope, as I got A's in my other subjects. The exam board was OCR; has anyone else had a similar problem, or could give me advice? Really disheartenened

ReputationRep:
    I would apply for a remark if you don't believe you should have gotten this grade. If the remark still ends up low then I would advise re-sitting, after all the stress could have caused this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSailorMoonQueen)
    I would apply for a remark if you don't believe you should have gotten this grade. If the remark still ends up low then I would advise re-sitting, after all the stress could have caused this
    Thanks! Do you know if I can just resit the exam alone, or would I have to resit the whole year again?

ReputationRep:
    Just the exam should be enough. unless you're willing to pay for a full year!

ReputationRep:
    From this source http://www.cife.org.uk/article/faqs-...level-retakes/ it says you should be okay with retaking only those units that need improvement, but I'm not 100% sure so you might have to do a bit more research on this

ReputationRep:
    How far are you off the next highest grade? In the past for non-sciences marks would change quite a lot when remarks are done, especially for essay based subjects. However, with the recent changes I believe that a grade can only change if it's obvious that the first marker didn't follow the marking scheme...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm in a similar position! I came out with a high B and I've never gotten below an A grade (or equivalent) in my life for History. I want to read it at university as well, and all of the universities I'm interested in want A*AA. I've applied for paper 2 to be remarked (got 60/60 for paper one), and I think that might be the best thing for you to do. I wish you the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H1212)
    Thanks! Do you know if I can just resit the exam alone, or would I have to resit the whole year again?
    History is a reformed A level. Your AS result does not count towards your final A level grade. You don't need to retake anything, just do better next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry most people flop AS in some way. I know someone in my school who got a D in English Lit AS, this year he got an A* overall.
    I personally managed to improve my ABBB at AS to AAA at A2.
    So don't beat yourself up if you get low grades at AS

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I also got a C at AS in history, but managed at A2 to get a B & now on my way to essex. Its no big deal, just put the extra effort in at A2

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I'm just worried about uni since I was hoping to read history; would I still get an offer if I only have a C grade in the subject at AS level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I got a few offers from unis to do history with a C, although my predicted grade was B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasismoran)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I got a few offers from unis to do history with a C, although my predicted grade was B.
    Ah that's great, thank you. My predicted grade was also a B, so this made me feel better, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem good luck with A2

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.