Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much are gcse's and A levels valued for postgraduate study? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you do well in your Bachelor's, say, you get a first or upper second class in an ordinary university, will gcse's and A-levels still play an important role in academic terms for postgraduate study?, i.e. could good results on a Bachelor's counteract ordinary grades on prior education? Would this also apply to Oxbridge or other top universities?

ReputationRep:
    If you already have a 1st or 2:1 in a degree I fail to see why they would care in the slightest what your pre-uni grades were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 789XYZ)
    If you do well in your Bachelor's, say, you get a first or upper second class in an ordinary university, will gcse's and A-levels still play an important role in academic terms for postgraduate study?, i.e. could good results on a Bachelor's counteract ordinary grades on prior education? Would this also apply to Oxbridge or other top universities?
    Hahaha idk why everyone wants to do postgraduate at Oxbridge but I also had the same question as you and I went on Cambridge's website. They are not concerned about your GCSE's or A-Levels but just your degree. It has to be a first or high 2:1. However they have a list of other things that they care about such as recommendations from your previous uni, your interest, etc.
    I hope this helps.
    I hope to do postgraduate at a top uni too, hopefully. GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies, they have been of use.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.