Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got my results yesterday and I got 3A and 1B in maths, further maths, economics and physics respectively. At my school there was a problem with the physics teaching during the year which as a result probably brought down my grades in physics. In maths/FM I got 100 ums in 3 of my modules and 90+ average overall. Im predicted A*s in maths and further maths and probably also economics, I wish to apply to Oxford for economics and management, and I'm dropping physics next year, do I still stand a chance even with my AAAB at AS? Thanks so much, I don't want to have to give up on this for a subject I'm not even doing next year

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I also received my AS grades yesterday, receiving AAAC in Maths, Economics, Geography and Chemistry respectively. I am in the same situation as you, as I am considering E&M at Oxford but I an worried if my C in chemistry will hinder my chances. From what I have heard, along as you have consistently performed at an A/A* standard, your B won't even matter, and even so a B is still a great achievement given you had problems throughout the year! With your predicted grades, I would most definitely apply to Oxford as your excellent maths grades give you a great chance!
    Goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hesitantalien)
    Hi, I got my results yesterday and I got 3A and 1B in maths, further maths, economics and physics respectively. At my school there was a problem with the physics teaching during the year which as a result probably brought down my grades in physics. In maths/FM I got 100 ums in 3 of my modules and 90+ average overall. Im predicted A*s in maths and further maths and probably also economics, I wish to apply to Oxford for economics and management, and I'm dropping physics next year, do I still stand a chance even with my AAAB at AS? Thanks so much, I don't want to have to give up on this for a subject I'm not even doing next year
    What're your GCSEs? Oxford generally don't place a lot of emphasis on AS anyway, because many private schools don't 'cash them in',

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how good your GCSEs are. And if you can get the problem with physics mentioned in your reference

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAC at AS with the C in an irrelevant subject (chemistry) and I received an offer to read for a history degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    What're your GCSEs? Oxford generally don't place a lot of emphasis on AS anyway, because many private schools don't 'cash them in',
    My GCSEs were 7A* 2A, I went to another school where they didn't do nearly as many GCSEs as most others and wasn't as good as the one I attend now, it's reassuring to hear that I still have a slither of a chance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaleesi111)
    Hey,
    I also received my AS grades yesterday, receiving AAAC in Maths, Economics, Geography and Chemistry respectively. I am in the same situation as you, as I am considering E&M at Oxford but I an worried if my C in chemistry will hinder my chances. From what I have heard, along as you have consistently performed at an A/A* standard, your B won't even matter, and even so a B is still a great achievement given you had problems throughout the year! With your predicted grades, I would most definitely apply to Oxford as your excellent maths grades give you a great chance!
    Goodluck!
    This is really nice to hear, thanks so much, I was afraid for a second there haha. Congrats on your grades too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I got AAAC at AS with the C in an irrelevant subject (chemistry) and I received an offer to read for a history degree.
    That's great to hear, thanks!!!! And congrats wow!!

ReputationRep:
    AAAB should not hinder you at all, Oxford cares much more about interview performance than grades. If you do well enough on admissions tests to get an interview the AS grades will likely not matter. For reference I'm going to Oxford next year with AAAAB at AS

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs were 7A* 2A, I went to another school where they didn't do nearly as many GCSEs as most others and wasn't as good as the one I attend now, it's reassuring to hear that I still have a slither of a chance...
    You should apply. I think you've got a fair chance of getting in, but I don't know about E&M in particular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    You should apply. I think you've got a fair chance of getting in, but I don't know about E&M in particular.
    Thanks a lot! If I practice well for the TSA hopefully something good can come out of it

ReputationRep:
    Yes you do still stand a chance. The chances of you getting an interview depend on your GCSEs, AS and TSA score, then whether or not you get an offer will mostly depend on your interview.

ReputationRep:
    Similar situation. Was planning to apply to Oxford to study Music - got AAAC at AS - A's in Music, Further Maths and Maths; and C in History.

Only took 5 GCSEs - 2 A* and 3 A. Wondering how my chances would fare to get in?

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping to apply for Biological Sciences in October and was disappointed with my AS results:

Psychology A
    English Literature A
    Biology A
    Chemistry C

The C in Chemistry was a spanner to the works, but I rang Oxford (and Durham) admissions and they said just drop it - as long as you get predicted their minimum requirements they'll consider you. I got 9A*s and 3As at GCSE. The woman I spoke to from Oxford told me it's definitely worth applying with these grades, but I have to taken into account I'll be competing against people with 4 As. Thoughts?

I should have asked her, but what worth do AS grades actually hold now? Some schools didn't take or partially took the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemanuel63)
    I was hoping to apply for Biological Sciences in October and was disappointed with my AS results:

Psychology A
    English Literature A
    Biology A
    Chemistry C

The C in Chemistry was a spanner to the works, but I rang Oxford (and Durham) admissions and they said just drop it - as long as you get predicted their minimum requirements they'll consider you. I got 9A*s and 3As at GCSE. The woman I spoke to from Oxford told me it's definitely worth applying with these grades, but I have to taken into account I'll be competing against people with 4 As. Thoughts?

I should have asked her, but what worth do AS grades actually hold now? Some schools didn't take or partially took the exams.
    some universities will barely even look at AS grades, I also rang Oxford and they said that if you have any award from a competition (for me physics olympiad)/anything that shows you are good at the subject it can also help massively, oxford looks a lot at gcses anyway and yours are really good so you probably still have a good chance. also i think epq is a good thing to have too

ReputationRep:
    i applied to e&m last year with AAAA, got rejected but I met many people at the interview who got as low as ABBB, just try to smash the TSA and then prepare for the interview well in advance. in short, your AS grades are fine.

ReputationRep:
    Lol and im here with my ABBC (Maths FurtherMaths Econ and Physics) thinking my chances are gone and you're there with AAAB or AAAC 😂😂😭😭😭

ReputationRep:
    Application to Oxford for E & M involves TSA and GCSE grades are important, so it is not all about AS and predicted A2 grades. However, remember that the course has the lowest acceptance rate of all their courses, at 8%.

Wth high UMS in your most relevant subjects, you may be better off applying for Economics at Cambridge, where the acceptance rate is more favourable, at 14%. There is also a written assessment for this course.

Make sure that the issue regarding Physics teaching is mentioned in your reference, if you can.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.