Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a summer placement at an investment bank in the Digital Banking/Technology area, feel free to ask me anything!

Edit: I also know people in front office so will try and answer anything about those too

ReputationRep:
    how does your job compare to what you expected it to be like?

do you would have a better life to those in revenue generating departments, more specifically leveregad finance & corporate finance

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be, I was fully prepared to spend all day doing menial tasks but after the first few weeks you really get stuck in to adding value to some exciting bits of work.

And 100% yes, corporate finance especially is a 'sell your soul' type thing (even compared to other front office roles). Tech hours vary depending on the team but I am generally leaving the office by 6.30/7 most days except when it's really busy. And I'm yet to find anyone doing weekend work here (although some of the support teams will do shift work). I know of interns in corporate finance who have worked around 25 days straight now with no day off.

ReputationRep:
    What software or programming languages do you use and is there anything you would consider advantageous to have in this field?

And sorry if this is a long one, but is there anyone on your office that has come from a finance degree (not maths, economics or accounting) and what level of experience did they have?

Thanks buddy!

hamza ahmad luton 786 hertfordshire hamzaahmad786

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzaahmad786)
    What software or programming languages do you use and is there anything you would consider advantageous to have in this field?

And sorry if this is a long one, but is there anyone on your office that has come from a finance degree (not maths, economics or accounting) and what level of experience did they have?

Thanks buddy!
    .NET and Java are two of the big ones we use but there's so many others (and lots of in-house software too). I wouldn't get too hung up on a specific language, generally if you can show aptitude in one of the main languages then that is fine as the skills will be transferable.

Most of the interns and graduates in Digital Banking do come from STEM (around 75%) but there are others like Economics and Finance. There is such a huge range of roles in the division and they will put you in one to suit your skillset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalbanker21)
    It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be, I was fully prepared to spend all day doing menial tasks but after the first few weeks you really get stuck in to adding value to some exciting bits of work.

And 100% yes, corporate finance especially is a 'sell your soul' type thing (even compared to other front office roles). Tech hours vary depending on the team but I am generally leaving the office by 6.30/7 most days except when it's really busy. And I'm yet to find anyone doing weekend work here (although some of the support teams will do shift work). I know of interns in corporate finance who have worked around 25 days straight now with no day off.
    could you quote ppl when you respond otherwise we don't see that you've replied

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.