Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do i need to fix my a levels to do a masters in anything, assuming i get a first? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Got the equivalent of BBC. Although I did get the highest politics mark in the country which was pretty cool(failed chemistry, did okay in biology)

Do i need to perk up my a levels or would a first degree in politics, plus my A******* at a level be good enough

ReputationRep:
    They will only look at you degree classification when it comes to applying for the masters. By the end of 3+ years of studying your A-levels will be pretty much irrelevant. Getting a first/2:1 shows that you can buckle down and do well at uni, so unless you seriously mess up your undergrad, I don't think you'll have a problem
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Alevels rarely factor in to it. Its based on degree class and reccomendations.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to give your A-levels in your master's application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Got the equivalent of BBC. Although I did get the highest politics mark in the country which was pretty cool(failed chemistry, did okay in biology)

Do i need to perk up my a levels or would a first degree in politics, plus my A******* at a level be good enough
    If you get a first, don't bother fixing up your A Levels. Your first class would show you've come along way and improved a lot. Plus, your A Levels were years ago now, they're now a bit outdated with regards to gauging your ability.

Jeremy Corbyn had utter **** A Level grades. Yet he's been an MP for probably half a century and has probably amassed quite a bit of money . Shows you can propel yourself quite high in politics, even if your A Levels aren't a clean set of A*s.

ReputationRep:
    My A levels were appalling but I got a 1st in undergrad and just got into UCL for the masters so I can only assume that A levels do not matter one bit in terms of securing a masters.

ReputationRep:
    No.

At postgrad level no-one gives a monkey's about your A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    No.

At postgrad level no-one gives a monkey's about your A levels.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I have very bad GCSEs from 16 years ago. Never done A-levels. Worked in a totally different sector. After finding my passion (filmmaking), I created a portfolio and got myself onto a HNC Media course. Then went to University and got a 1st class honours. Now I'm about to start my masters this September after working for a year at the University I graduated from. My interviewee, for my masters, didn't care in the slightly about my previous qualifications, but was impressed that I took the courage to switch careers after finding my passion. The course was actually full as well. He got me onto a reserved list and someone dropped out and I dropped in lol. A good 1st degree and passion with some experience is all you need for a masters.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.