Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Laptop Advice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just about to start Chemistry course at Reading. Laptop broke during A-levels so need a new one. Is there one that anyone can recommend? Is there a shop at the university that gives discount on buying computing equipment as I have seen this at other universities.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of budget do you have?Some places offer student discounts, you'd nee to check specifically whether your university or other vendors offer such discounts.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reply. Budget probably around £600 but don't know about whether the university offers discounts - was hoping someone from Reading might respond to confirm. I've seen that there student discounts on a couple of high street stores but just not sure what to buy - my last laptop was an Acer and just lasted ages.

ReputationRep:
    Get a decent chromebook for half the price...use the other half for food

ReputationRep:
    If you're willing to spend another £50 on top of the £600, get a MacBook Air (with the education discount). Apple's have far better software and build quality. Plus you should be able to get Office for Mac free through your uni (I did). They come with Pages and Keynote etc anyway and nowadays they're easy convert to word documents.

Plus, a MacBook will have a much higher resale value than Windows or Google Machines.

You can get the discount through Unidays online too. Along with loads of other discounts. If you decide on a Window machine you can get 30% off all HP laptops through Unidays.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.