Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am EU national who live and work in England for last 10 years. I decided to start university this year and I have applied for a tuition fee loan. Loan was approved, but due to the fact that I was in higher education 10 years ago in my home country, number of years I am entitled to is less than the length of my course. Should those 2 years in my home country (University was free therefore I wasn't receiving any tuition fee support) be taken under consideration? And why (since it was free)? Also is there any chance I could use the amount of years I am entitled to as first so that I can gather necessary funds self-fund my last year? My application was as UK national not EU national since I have permanent residency status.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by bart.m)
    Hi, I am EU national who live and work in England for last 10 years. I decided to start university this year and I have applied for a tuition fee loan. Loan was approved, but due to the fact that I was in higher education 10 years ago in my home country, number of years I am entitled to is less than the length of my course. Should those 2 years in my home country (University was free therefore I wasn't receiving any tuition fee support) be taken under consideration? And why (since it was free)? Also is there any chance I could use the amount of years I am entitled to as first so that I can gather necessary funds self-fund my last year? My application was as UK national not EU national since I have permanent residency status.
    Unfortunately all full-time previous higher education (whether in the UK or abroad) is taken into account when your loan entitlement is assessed. It's a very unfair rule but we have to live with it. This is the calculation they use to work out what you can get: length of degree - previous years of higher education study + 1 gift year = loan entitlement.

If you studied for two years on a full-time degree then you will need to pay for the first year of the degree you want to do yourself. What do you want to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Unfortunately all full-time previous higher education (whether in the UK or abroad) is taken into account when your loan entitlement is assessed. It's a very unfair rule but we have to live with it. This is the calculation they use to work out what you can get: length of degree - previous years of higher education study + 1 gift year = loan entitlement.

If you studied for two years on a full-time degree then you will need to pay for the first year of the degree you want to do yourself. What do you want to study?
    Thank you for your explanation. I had a compelling reason to leave University before, but I have difficulties with the proof. I want to study International business management which is 4 year course. I was just hoping that perhaps I could self-fund my last year since I could have more time to gather necessary funds. Thank you again for your response.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.