Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What can I do when I finish my BTEC 90 Credit / Extended Diploma in IT 2016-2018 watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have just got my myAS level results and got a d, B, U,e in chemistry computer sciences, maths and physics respectfully. So as I can't carry on with maths to get into uni for a CS degree is not possible so I wanted to restart onto a BTEC 90 Credit / Extended Diploma in IT so what does this mean as it is 18 units and by the look of it they are worth 10 credits. So what is the highest grade possible? Can I go to uni of this? And Please round is it a good idea

Thanks in advanced for any advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpayne98)
    Hi I have just got my myAS level results and got a d, B, U,e in chemistry computer sciences, maths and physics respectfully. So as I can't carry on with maths to get into uni for a CS degree is not possible so I wanted to restart onto a BTEC 90 Credit / Extended Diploma in IT so what does this mean as it is 18 units and by the look of it they are worth 10 credits. So what is the highest grade possible? Can I go to uni of this? And Please round is it a good idea

If you end up doing the extended diploma it is like doing three A levels and the highest possible grade is D*D*D*. You can definitely get onto university to with an extended diploma as I did one in applied science, got a D*D*D* and I am currently studying biomedical sciences. If you want to apply to study computer science it honestly depends on where you apply. Manchester for example offers the course and want you to have DMM AND an A in A level MATHS or DDD from an engineering diploma with a distinction in the further maths unit. Other, universities who have are lower in the league tables, such as MMU will accept the following: BTEC Subsidiary Diploma, Diploma, Extended Diploma at Level 3 (Grades DMM)
    BTEC's preferably IT/Computing or Science related. You are best of doing your own research as that is the best way to get reliable information. If you are unsure about a specific unit the university is asking for email them and tell the units that you are doing to see if they will accept it. Don't think just because you are doing BTEC qualification you can't get into uni. Hope this helped, if you have anymore questions I will try to answer them for you. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi thank you for your reply.

My college dosn't allow for a level to be taken along side of a btec does this mean that those uni I cannot apply to. I have a B at GCSE. And there is an optional 10credit unit for a maths in it will that help and worth doing

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi thank you for your reply.

My college dosn't allow for a level to be taken along side of a btec does this mean that those uni I cannot apply to. I have a B at GCSE. And there is an optional 10credit unit for a maths in it will that help and worth doing

Thanks
    It just means that you may have less options available to you. Which universities were you planning to go to and study computer science at? The best thing to do right now is make a list of unis you want to go to and see how many of them will accept your BTEC Level 3 Extended IT diploma. If there is something you aren't sure about, don't hesitate to contact the university! You are best of getting information early then finding later on that you can't get onto your desired course.

ReputationRep:

just to inform you I think that we will be taking a 90 mark , 2 hour exam in may/june ..!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.