Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dangers and consequences of complete isolation? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am concerned for my sanity.. I've been consistently ignoring every form of human interaction (even online) because I don't trust anyone anymore and people just keep hurting me.

Are there real dangers to prolonged absence of social interaction..? I'm already going crazy..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 571122)
    I am concerned for my sanity.. I've been consistently ignoring every form of human interaction (even online) because I don't trust anyone anymore and people just keep hurting me.

Are there real dangers to prolonged absence of social interaction..? I'm already going crazy..
    I know you feel scared of everyone and you feel really fragile but you have to see your doctor because yes if you keep yourself isolated for long enough your mental health will deterioate further. If you're not going out then get your GP to call you at home.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely seek for some help, especially from your family and doctor. Isolation like this can lead to dangerous mental illnesses like depression therefore don't stay with it alone
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm completely isolated outside of work, I live alone and have no friends and no social interaction at all (not even a text message) and this has been the case since I graduated from uni two years ago.

It's got to the stage where I think i've forgotten any basic social skills and I don't think i'd be able to make friends. I've just given up on any thought of being happy and having a normal life. I can't tell you how **** that makes me feel when I see everyone else my age getting married, going on holiday, having kids.

Don't end up like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I'm completely isolated outside of work, I live alone and have no friends and no social interaction at all (not even a text message) and this has been the case since I graduated from uni two years ago.

It's got to the stage where I think i've forgotten any basic social skills and I don't think i'd be able to make friends. I've just given up on any thought of being happy and having a normal life. I can't tell you how **** that makes me feel when I see everyone else my age getting married, going on holiday, having kids.

Don't end up like me.
    Man, it feels like I actually wrote your text because I feel the same way. Don't you have to interact socially at work?

I really hope a job will get me friends and a girlfriend..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Man, it feels like I actually wrote your text because I feel the same way. Don't you have to interact socially at work?

I really hope a job will get me friends and a girlfriend..
    I'm fine at work but when I leave the office on Friday afternoon I know I won't speak to anyone until Monday morning.

It sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I'm fine at work but when I leave the office on Friday afternoon I know I won't speak to anyone until Monday morning.

It sucks.
    Damn that sucks... what about the people from work? Do you not do anything with them on the weekends at all?

Was this because you moved to a new town post uni?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, even I thought that hobbies and/or work would solve everything. Oh no, they didn't.. I've been active in two hobbies (martial arts and gym) for a decade (that's right, a decade) and nothing ever happens. No friends, no going out, nothing. I've seen people from my club go out with each other and I always get dumped or ignored.

Here are some example situations:

guy1: "Hey, so this party next Friday"
    guy2: "Yeah, you wanna come?"
    guy1: "Sure man, sure"
    guy2: "All right, I'll pick you up at 8 and I'll bring some friends"

And of course, in that scenario, I don't count. What, am I part of the club? Apparently not.

guy1: "Hey, how are you doing?"
    me: "Not so well, I've been having these problems and.."
    guy1: "Ah.. heheh, ok, listen, I have to go talk to my friend now"
    guy1: "Hey man! How are things?"
    friend: "Man, my life is great!! I am so happy!! So, last weekend I had this girl and"
    guy1: "Go on, go on"

And from that situation it is clear no one wants to be around someone who is honest and/or has problems. That one happy guy (or fakes it, anyway) has so many people flocking around him like flies around ****. What a beautiful world we live in eh? That one happy guy pretends his life is freaking amazing, while in reality he lives with dad and they both struggle paying bills, not to mention his dad came to me asking for advice on how to make him do his homework because he'd been failing in school. You call that a happy life?! I hate these pretenders.

Meanwhile, a guy like me who is honest and actually, truthfully says how he's feeling, gets ignored and rejected by people like a bad flu.

Let's talk about work then, shall we? At my internship (that's as close as I got to real work) at a large corporation, people would just say 'hi' in the morning, glue around the people they like and indeed, indeed, just ignore me, yet again. I've worked there for four months as a software engineer and all I got was a "hi" in the morning (sometimes not even that) and a "bye" at the end of the day, all the while these guys have been interacting with each other like social butterflies, even a guy from my class whom the guys at the corporation never met! I've been isolated doing my work, while. And every time I tried to interact, the guys would show me this fake expression on their face and end their interaction with me in a matter of seconds. The guy from my class? Well, with him, they chatted like chickens for hours. What a wonderful thing to be ignored!

What about my own life? Well, I get ignored by my own friends.

In conclusion: life sucks for me.

And you think we should be motivated to make friends?! No.
    When will people understand that no matter what you try, things don't work out? Only normal people don't understand that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kre)
    Damn that sucks... what about the people from work? Do you not do anything with them on the weekends at all?

Was this because you moved to a new town post uni?
    No I didn't move anywhere. Everyone I knew left.

I wouldn't say I have any friends from work. If I left tomorrow, i'd never speak to any of them again.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I could turn into you guys any time right about now ... I have pretty bad anxiety right now, but no matter how much I try to branch out I just don't really seem to exist for people. My friends used to talk about their parties in front of me, but they'd only talk to me if I was the only one there. If I try to find people online, I'd get ignored. It's really frustrating and messes up my self confidence so much. As for your situation OP, and perhaps sr90, talk to a GP or therapist or join a support group of some kind of people with similar problems or interests who can relate to you

ReputationRep:
    What I'd say is go out there and talk to some people. Life is what you make it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Emrys)
    I feel like I could turn into you guys any time right about now ... I have pretty bad anxiety right now, but no matter how much I try to branch out I just don't really seem to exist for people. My friends used to talk about their parties in front of me, but they'd only talk to me if I was the only one there. If I try to find people online, I'd get ignored. It's really frustrating and messes up my self confidence so much. As for your situation OP, and perhaps sr90, talk to a GP or therapist or join a support group of some kind of people with similar problems or interests who can relate to you
    Yup, thanks to anxiety I've become a useless retard who can't even do really basic sh*t, like talk on the phone or speak to a receptionist
    What a wonderful life this is....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Emrys)
    As for your situation OP, and perhaps sr90, talk to a GP or therapist or join a support group of some kind of people with similar problems or interests who can relate to you
    What you ask is like finding a needle in the world. I've talked to a therapist and she was utterly useless to me because she didn't understand my world. I've joined support groups and ended up having fights with everyone. I've had people relate to me and then backstab me.

ReputationRep:
    What you ask is like finding a needle in the world. I've talked to a therapist and she was utterly useless to me because she didn't understand my world. I've joined support groups and ended up having fights with everyone. I've had people relate to me and then backstab me.
    Are you diagnosed with any mental health conditions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Are you diagnosed with any mental health conditions?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    what did you see the therapist for and what was the group therapy for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    what did you see the therapist for and what was the group therapy for?
    I saw the therapist for conflicts with co-students on campus and socializing in general. It was a private session and there was no group therapy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.