Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm thinking of taking maths, economics, product design, and physics for my A levels.

1) Is It sensible choosing 4 A levels or should I
    2) take physics as an AS level or
    3) just drop physics and do 3 A Levels and an EPQ

Also is an EPQ widely recognised by universities? What subject can i do an EPQ on?

I want to go into graphic design and advertising or business and finance in university if that may help.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I can manage 4 a levels whilst having a weekend job? (just during year 12)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueParadise)
    So I'm thinking of taking maths, economics, product design, and physics for my A levels.

1) Is It sensible choosing 4 A levels or should I
    2) take physics as an AS level or
    3) just drop physics and do 3 A Levels and an EPQ

Also is an EPQ widely recognised by universities? What subject can i do an EPQ on?

I want to go into graphic design and advertising or business and finance in university if that may help.
    Most Universities do recognise the EPQ, but usually do not make an EPQ grade part of an offer. They may take the fact that you are doing an EPQ into consideration when making you an offer, especially if the EPQ is related to your course as it shows you are doing activities relevent to your study. An EPQ can be on any subject that you have an interest in, and can come in a variety of formats such as making something (e.g a website, robot, childern's book - all of these were done by students in my school), or a written report. My EPQ was evaluating the work of Alan Turing with regards to his importance in providing a basis for modern Computer Science.

Some Universities also lower entry requirements provided you get a good grade in the EPQ. For example, I applied to University of East Anglia this year. They gave me an offer of AAA, but this would be lowered to AAB if I got an A in my EPQ.

4 A Levels is a large workload, and most Universities only give out offers requiring 3 A Levels, but if you think you can cope with it then you can certainly take four. Last year I took 5 AS Levels in Maths, Computing, ICT, Physics and Critical Thinking. This year I completed A2s in Maths, Computing and ICT, an AS in Further Maths and an EPQ.

All in all, the EPQ is a good option to take. It could be possible to do 3 A Levels, an AS Level and the EPQ all together as I did, but the workload can be large. Do make sure you choose what is best for you in the end .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dapperblook22)
    Most Universities do recognise the EPQ, but usually do not make an EPQ grade part of an offer. They may take the fact that you are doing an EPQ into consideration when making you an offer, especially if the EPQ is related to your course as it shows you are doing activities relevent to your study. An EPQ can be on any subject that you have an interest in, and can come in a variety of formats such as making something (e.g a website, robot, childern's book - all of these were done by students in my school), or a written report. My EPQ was evaluating the work of Alan Turing with regards to his importance in providing a basis for modern Computer Science.

Some Universities also lower entry requirements provided you get a good grade in the EPQ. For example, I applied to University of East Anglia this year. They gave me an offer of AAA, but this would be lowered to AAB if I got an A in my EPQ.

4 A Levels is a large workload, and most Universities only give out offers requiring 3 A Levels, but if you think you can cope with it then you can certainly take four. Last year I took 5 AS Levels in Maths, Computing, ICT, Physics and Critical Thinking. This year I completed A2s in Maths, Computing and ICT, an AS in Further Maths and an EPQ.

All in all, the EPQ is a good option to take. It could be possible to do 3 A Levels, an AS Level and the EPQ all together as I did, but the workload can be large. Do make sure you choose what is best for you in the end .

Thank you soo much! I have heard that 4 A levels may be a bit much so I will consider taking 3 A Levels, an AS Level and an EPQ. I do like the idea of an EPQ as it is something that I would like to learn and explore more about graphics.

Is an EPQ on Cultural appropriation in graphic desgin appropriate or too common?

I'm a bit indecisive now but I will wait for results day and ask the sixth forms what they too think is best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueParadise)
    Thank you soo much! I have heard that 4 A levels may be a bit much so I will consider taking 3 A Levels, an AS Level and an EPQ. I do like the idea of an EPQ as it is something that I would like to learn and explore more about graphics.

Is an EPQ on Cultural appropriation in graphic desgin appropriate or too common?

I'm a bit indecisive now but I will wait for results day and ask the sixth forms what they too think is best.
    I haven't heard about that EPQ before, so I'm guessing it isn't too common . Your EPQ centre coordinator at your school should be able to say if your EPQ has enough scope and is focused enough for your topic. My topic went through about 3 or 4 iterations until I finalised the title.

Good choice to wait; most importantly make sure you pick options that you will enjoy for Sixth Form.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.