Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to become more social but don't know how? Watch

I am going to be going into year 11 when I go back to school in September and I want to talk more. I know that this probably sounds stupid but I barely talk to anyone in my classes apart from about 2 people. I really do want to make more friends but I just don't know what to say to people. Inside I feel empty most of the time. When I am not at school I talk a lot but during school I just go onto mute mode. I do have a close friend that I feel happy with being around him. When I go to college next year I want a fresh start to make friends and try to 'rebuild myself'.

ReputationRep:
    If you are having trouble meeting people you could just do what I do and set off the fire alarm.

Then start a conversation with a random stranger like:

"I can't believe that interrupted my test."

"I know right, the fire alarm has been going off way too many times recently." :rolleyes:

Etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest perhaps volunteering at the weekends or at your school and doing something that will get you out of your comfort zone and forces you to interact with people? You could ask one of your friends to go with you.

I used to be agonisingly shy to the point where I couldn't speak in front of anyone I didn't know well and could only use my voice in front of people I trusted. Volunteering put me out of my comfort zone and I hated it at first, but it helped me to come out of my shell, develop social skills and interact with people and make new friends.

ReputationRep:
    dont bother, most people are *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    dont bother, most people are *******s.
    you're only going to worsen the vicious cycle of "unsociability" and generate more whiny self-entitled *****es with that advice.

I bet if a school dared to block phone signals and remove wi-fi, over half of the "affected" would riot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am going to be going into year 11 when I go back to school in September and I want to talk more. I know that this probably sounds stupid but I barely talk to anyone in my classes apart from about 2 people. I really do want to make more friends but I just don't know what to say to people. Inside I feel empty most of the time. When I am not at school I talk a lot but during school I just go onto mute mode. I do have a close friend that I feel happy with being around him. When I go to college next year I want a fresh start to make friends and try to 'rebuild myself'.
    your introverted and quiet for a reason... think about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    you're only going to worsen the vicious cycle of "unsociability" and generate more whiny self-entitled *****es with that advice.

I bet if a school dared to block phone signals and remove wi-fi, over half of the "affected" would riot
    My reply was a (poor) joke

ReputationRep:
    Vodka.

Try get a job, it helps alot

(Original post by Hashtosh302)
    True, there's always a reason and no advice is better than this. You need to find out why you're introverted and quiet. It may happen that the reason means that you won't ever be that talkative/extroverted which is fine, as long as there are things you enjoy it's easy not talking to many people. You avoid a lot of bad things as well.

ReputationRep:
    True, there's always a reason and no advice is better than this. You need to find out why you're introverted and quiet. It may happen that the reason means that you won't ever be that talkative/extroverted which is fine, as long as there are things you enjoy it's easy not talking to many people. You avoid a lot of bad things as well.
    I really do get your point but don't stop yourself from freely expressing other elements of your personality and saying whatever the **** you wanna say

But I don't know why? I have some days where I think why am I here then others are better

ReputationRep:
    Being social is actually over rated I've learnt my own company is the best.

ReputationRep:
    jus smoke weed with people thats what i did and i got As and Bs in my gcses truss me

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    When I go to college do you think I will meet people that I will get along with? Ideally people that aren't loud but not too quiet like me? I think I need someone more confident than me to help me?

ReputationRep:
    But I don't know why? I have some days where I think why am I here then others are better
    think harder

ReputationRep:
    you won't be saying that if you were social...

ReputationRep:
    Take it slow. Build up your confidence slowly. It will take time. Feel free to message me anytime.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you won't be saying that if you were social...
    Having done a year of uni with a considerable amount of partying, having movie nights with friends, going shopping with friends, getting ready to go out with friends I have found it just exhausts me. I can really relax and be happy when I'm alone doing my own thing

ReputationRep:
    Having done a year of uni with a considerable amount of partying, having movie nights with friends, going shopping with friends, getting ready to go out with friends I have found it just exhausts me. I can really relax and be happy when I'm alone doing my own thing
    it exhausts you? lol, clearly you were meant to be introverted then and not extroverted

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.