Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VM401 – Halting of Badger Culls Motion 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    69.39%
    On the contrary, No
    12.24%
    Abstain
    18.37%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    VM401 – Halting of Badger Culls Motion 2016, TSR Labour Party
    This House believes that the Government should put a stop to all the badger culling that is taking place.

The Government plans to cull 50,000 badgers, one of Britain's most iconic animals. This is a shocking number and as the country's entire badger population is just 500,000, this cull could seriously damage the badger's future. Several scientists have concluded, including Lord John Krebs who commissioned the original trial, that the only effective way to stop the TB crisis is by coming up with solutions to stop it being passed from cattle to cattle. Furthermore, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the culling has indeed reduced the level of bovine TB in cattle; culling badgers is simply ineffective. Ironically, the culling of badgers could actually increase the spread of TB as infected badgers run off and spread the disease to other animals.

On top of killing thousands of badgers with no progress made, the Government are spending far too much money on the project. Over the last years, £5m has been spent on culling just 4,000 badgers. This is simply a waste of money that would be much better spent on improved TB testing systems for cattle and better fences around their grazing areas. It was estimated last September than each badger killed costs the taxpayer £7,000 and DEFRA has even refused to release the total cost of the project. Gloucestershire Police say that their county has a £1.7 million bill due to badger culling and it costs them £18,000 for each badger that is killed.Badger culling is inefficient and far too costly. It was originally brought in to tackle the problem of TB but it has not been successful. Other methods of containing TB need to be explored but this failed policy needs to be brought to an end.

Sources:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tific-evidence
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6902596.html
    http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/not-...ail/story.html

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Not a question.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye. The badger culls have failed and government should instead be invested in alternative methods to control bovine TB.

ReputationRep:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    That's a blast from the past!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    That's a blast from the past!
    It is! Do you remember this one? It was first shared with me on a floppy disk and I remember myself thinking it was pretty neat, lol.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    It is! Do you remember this one? It was first shared with me on a floppy disk and I remember myself thinking it was pretty neat, lol.
    Takes me back to the days of AlbinoBlackSheep!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 34
    Noes to the left: 6
    Abstentions: 9

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 98%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.