Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best classic books - like The Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird Watch

ReputationRep:
    I love a few of the classics I've read. I have a strange taste. I love the two above and The Book Thief for example.
    Any recommendations?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Sounds like you're into novels with an overriding theme of the individual vs the state/ society. I'd recommend...

Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky
    L'Etranger (The Stranger) by Camus
    Post Office by Chuck Bukowski

All very different and all very original - happy reading!

ReputationRep:
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, and On the Road by Jack Kerouac if you want more books along the lines of Catcher in the Rye
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AntgoneRJ)
    I love a few of the classics I've read. I have a strange taste. I love the two above and The Book Thief for example.
    Any recommendations?
    I don't know but can Stoner written by John Williams be added to classics? if yes you should take a closer look at it. One of the best (classics?) I have ever read.*

Otherwise, I am afraid that I can't help you and your passion for classics which I appreciate. Have read some of them in German language, but hardly in English. If you know some in English-language with social criticism, so name those please. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntgoneRJ)
    Any recommendations?
    Go Set a Watchman is the prequel to Mockingbird and was released earlier on this year, I'm reading it at the moment and although it's breaking my heart, it's great.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.