Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So there is this guy at work who is 10 years older than me, I'm 22 and he's nearly 32, and we have developed a bit of a relationship. I hug him a lot and he kisses me on the cheek when we're saying goodbye and I do enjoy it. The problem is that he is married however he is on the verge of getting a divorce. He told me about his wife and he even says they sleep in different rooms etc and I kind of believe him. The story he has told me doesnt seem flawed or made up.

First I thought he was only interested because I was younger and he thinks he'll get lucky. We've talked about the relationship that has been developing and basically in the end he wasn't a friend with benefits without the actual sex and we have had full on kisses since then and touched one another (only slightly over the clothes)

But what he also does is he takes me places. A couple of weeks ago he took me to get pizza and the last week we went to the park. And he always asks where I want to go next, he never says 'lets go here' he always lets me chose. He knows I like movies so he suggested we could go to the cinema but he HATES films and when I said that he probably wouldnt enjoy that he said that it doesnt matter along as its with me he's happy.

So what does all this mean? Does he actually like me? I feel like he's not using me or anything because he is genuinely really nice to me and buys me things, surely you would do that for someone who you are just interested in groping?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So there is this guy at work who is 10 years older than me, I'm 22 and he's nearly 32, and we have developed a bit of a relationship. I hug him a lot and he kisses me on the cheek when we're saying goodbye and I do enjoy it. The problem is that he is married however he is on the verge of getting a divorce. He told me about his wife and he even says they sleep in different rooms etc and I kind of believe him. The story he has told me doesnt seem flawed or made up.

First I thought he was only interested because I was younger and he thinks he'll get lucky. We've talked about the relationship that has been developing and basically in the end he wasn't a friend with benefits without the actual sex and we have had full on kisses since then and touched one another (only slightly over the clothes)

But what he also does is he takes me places. A couple of weeks ago he took me to get pizza and the last week we went to the park. And he always asks where I want to go next, he never says 'lets go here' he always lets me chose. He knows I like movies so he suggested we could go to the cinema but he HATES films and when I said that he probably wouldnt enjoy that he said that it doesnt matter along as its with me he's happy.

So what does all this mean? Does he actually like me? I feel like he's not using me or anything because he is genuinely really nice to me and buys me things, surely you would do that for someone who you are just interested in groping?
    He's married. Regardless of how he's acting towards your or where he's taking you, he's married. He has a wife. Cool things off with him and next time he suggests to take you out somewhere politely decline and say you don't think it would be appropriate

ReputationRep:
    Leave it, for the sake of his wife.

ReputationRep:

get go a boyfriend leave him hes a grown man

ReputationRep:
    The age gap is nothing. I went out with a 22-year-old when I was 30. The fact he's married IS a problem - even if it's not for you then you'll see by the reactions here that it'd not reflect well on you. If he wants a relationship with you, he should at the very least have moved out first - and you shouldn't go any further until he does that.

On the surface it looks like he just wants a bit on the side, so probably best to keep away. Only you know the real circumstances though, so don't accept what anyone else says as gospel and use your own judgement... Love is strange.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

I am afraid he could just be saying things aren't well with his wife just to get in your underwear. Plus he isn't actually divorced yet, I would cool it off.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.