Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA gcse french and I was wondering if i got 2 marks off an A star in my coursework, which is 60% and a A in reading and C in listening which are both worth 20% what do you think that would be overall?

hoping for a scrape A overall
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Probably get an A, I got B's in everything apart from listening which was a U and still got a B overal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Probably get an A, I got B's in everything apart from listening which was a U and still got a B overal.
    really? that's good, did you do aqa exam board?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by julia_aaa)
    really? that's good, did you do aqa exam board?
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA gcse french and I was wondering if i got 2 marks off an A star in my coursework, which is 60% and a A in reading and C in listening which are both worth 20% what do you think that would be overall?

Do you have each individual coursework mark, and individual reading and listening marks?

ReputationRep:
    if i got 2 marks off an A star in my coursework,
    That's only an estimate - the writing controlled assessment is marked by the exam board not your teacher and even the speaking could well be moderated down after the school marked it.

ReputationRep:

Ok, so you said you were two marks off an A* in your coursework, so I'm guessing you mean overall. I'm gonna use UMS to see what you'd get:
    Writing: 79 UMS
    Speaking: 79 UMS

Now you said you think you got a C and an A in the respective exams, so:
    Reading: 48 UMS
    Listening: 36 UMS

Add all the UMS points together:79 + 79 + 48 + 36 = 242

Now you can check the overall UMS grade boundaries for the whole course:
    A* = 270 UMS A = 240 UMS B = 210 UMS etc.

This means you would have achieved an A, but only just. However, for your listening and reading UMS, I have only stated them as if you only JUST met the grade boundary. So in other words, you will probably get a mid A or a mid C, not a low A or low C as I have listed in the UMS points, so basically your A will be stronger! Hope this helps!

(btw your writing can be changed by an examiner, so it could be lower or higher. also your speaking may be sent off therefore subject to change)

ReputationRep:

I worked out this based on you just getting enough marks for an A and a C.

Coursework = 154 UMS
    Listening = 36 UMS
    Reading = 48 UMS

This comes to 238 UMS overall, and you need 240 for an A. So, providing you get a couple of marks into the boundary, you'll get an A overall (If you got 2 marks into the A boundary for the reading, you'll have an A, likewise, if you get 2 marks into the C boundary, you'd get an A)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielwinstanley)
    I worked out this based on you just getting enough marks for an A and a C.

Coursework = 154 UMS
    Listening = 36 UMS
    Reading = 48 UMS

This comes to 238 UMS overall, and you need 240 for an A. So, providing you get a couple of marks into the boundary, you'll get an A overall (If you got 2 marks into the A boundary for the reading, you'll have an A, likewise, if you get 2 marks into the C boundary, you'd get an A)
    Thank you so much, this was very useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    Ok, so you said you were two marks off an A* in your coursework, so I'm guessing you mean overall. I'm gonna use UMS to see what you'd get:
    Writing: 79 UMS
    Speaking: 79 UMS

Now you said you think you got a C and an A in the respective exams, so:
    Reading: 48 UMS
    Listening: 36 UMS

Add all the UMS points together:79 + 79 + 48 + 36 = 242

Now you can check the overall UMS grade boundaries for the whole course:
    A* = 270 UMS A = 240 UMS B = 210 UMS etc.

This means you would have achieved an A, but only just. However, for your listening and reading UMS, I have only stated them as if you only JUST met the grade boundary. So in other words, you will probably get a mid A or a mid C, not a low A or low C as I have listed in the UMS points, so basically your A will be stronger! Hope this helps!

(btw your writing can be changed by an examiner, so it could be lower or higher. also your speaking may be sent off therefore subject to change)
    Thank you, this was really helpful

ReputationRep:
    Haha I got A* in all my coursework because of just pure memorization. My tests will probably drag that down to a C

ReputationRep:
    How do you know what you got in the listening and reading?? Or was it just an estimate?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.