Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should people who fail first year of uni drop out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have managed to secure a 1st, however, I know many students in my course who have failed one or multiple modules during their first year of uni. Some have retaken the modules (but it's capped at 40%) during the summer and awaiting their new yet capped results.From what I've been told, we need to pass all 6 modules in order to qualify for second year. So, I'm just curious to know, what happens if a student fails to gain over 40% on a module, and fails to meet the criteria set? Will they have to retake, transfer or possibly leave altogether? I suppose all universities will have different views on the matter, but generally speaking, any idea what consequences students will begin to face if they've failed to pass their modules?

Also, what is your opinion on those failing their first year? Do you believe they should rethink their time at university and perhaps look at alternatives (whether that be a new course or career although). Or do you think they should take the moment to reevaluate their situation and maybe it serves as a wake up call?

Id like to know your opinions and even your first year stories and what you took and learnt from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahelpinghand)
    I have managed to secure a 1st, however, I know many students in my course who have failed one or multiple modules during their first year of uni. Some have retaken the modules (but it's capped at 40%) during the summer and awaiting their new yet capped results.From what I've been told, we need to pass all 6 modules in order to qualify for second year. So, I'm just curious to know, what happens if a student fails to gain over 40% on a module, and fails to meet the criteria set? Will they have to retake, transfer or possibly leave altogether? I suppose all universities will have different views on the matter, but generally speaking, any idea what consequences students will begin to face if they've failed to pass their modules?

Also, what is your opinion on those failing their first year? Do you believe they should rethink their time at university and perhaps look at alternatives (whether that be a new course or career although). Or do you think they should take the moment to reevaluate their situation and maybe it serves as a wake up call?

Id like to know your opinions and even your first year stories and what you took and learnt from it.
    My friend passed all her modules apart from one which was by 1% and they wouldn't let her retake that module in the summer for some reason so now she's retaking the WHOLE year! So unfair on her

ReputationRep:
    Fail a single module, let them retake but cap it.

Fail overall = redo once. Fail again, kick them out, they don't belong at university.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ahelpinghand)
    (...) *Also, what is your opinion on those failing their first year? Do you believe they should rethink their time at university and perhaps look at alternatives (whether that be a new course or career although). Or do you think they should take the moment to reevaluate their situation and maybe it serves as a wake up call?

Rethink seems to be a good idea, if those students were failing in most of the modules, so 40% or even more. If that is the case, they should think about studying at the university and the study carefully. Maybe they realize they have taken the wrong study at the wrong university. In this point of view, they should move to another study before they are studying again in vain. That would just be a waste of time.

If this failing is just the result of a wrong attiitude (being too lazy to study for instance), they should get a second chance to change their attitude and to make it better by second attempt. If it comes to great failure again, the students should be banned. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Fail a single module, let them retake but cap it.

Fail overall = redo once. Fail again, kick them out, they don't belong at university.
    I agree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.