Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If your partner was bisexual, would you let them have fun with the same gender. watch

Announcements

Trying not to make this sensational but a serious topic if that is possible.

I really like this girl who dates both men and women and I was thinking that if I was to talk with her about a relationship that I would offer her the freedom to have fun with members of the same gender as I feel like it isn't cheating if I knew what she'll be up to.

Does this sound crazy to anyone?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So she is not allowed to have fun with a man or a woman, i.e no friends?

'Allowing her to have fun' - I get that there are boundaries and there are definitely some things that people in a monogamous relationship shouldn't get up to with other people but you sound a bit too controlling ('knowing what she is up to') so you have to work out how to make it work right.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds pathetic, be more possessive if that's who you are.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I personally see it as cheating

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean "you" would offer her to be with people of the same sex, why would you even say that, you dont own people.

ReputationRep:
    That's cheating. If you're okay with that, an open relationship, good for you - bear in mind she may not be.

I'm pan and that doesn't mean I'm not about to be faithful to my partner, it's monogamy for both of us or there's no relationship. If we're supposed to love each other, I certainly don't see why I need to be with another man or woman on occasion, I only want one partner.

ReputationRep:
    It's cheating. A man wouldn't allow a woman to date other men so I don't see why you should let a bisexual wife date men or women. She should only be dating you and you should only be dating her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Trying not to make this sensational but a serious topic if that is possible.

I really like this girl who dates both men and women and I was thinking that if I was to talk with her about a relationship that I would offer her the freedom to have fun with members of the same gender as I feel like it isn't cheating if I knew what she'll be up to.

Does this sound crazy to anyone?
    Well, it would be cheating, unless you both agreed to have an open relationship. But if you did decide to have an open relationship, you couldn't exactly limit her by gender (or at least that would be extremely unusual) - so you need to decide whether you want to be exclusive, or whether you're okay with her having sex with other people.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been in an open relationship, which is effectively what you're describing (albeit with limitations), but having dated a bisexual girl I can tell you that not all of them are open to such ideas, including threesomes and what have you. Obviously this is something you have to discuss with your partner and something you have to be 100% comfortable with, but more often than not people are not emotionally capable of dealing with the consequences of such arrangements. Even swinging couples have to deal with intense bouts of jealously and regret.

I wouldn't recommend, but it is your life.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    When you say have fun do you mean play Monopoly or something? I would never allow my partner to cheat, it's rather ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    It's still cheating... regardless of their gender. If you go with someone else whilst in a relationship, it's cheating. Period.

I'm a gay male, but if I had a bisexual boyfriend, no I wouldn't want him to 'have fun' with girls. I still see that as cheating. Open relationships aren't my ting

ReputationRep:
    Bit ridiculous. Cheating is cheating regardless of gender, unless you want it to be an open relationship; in which case limiting her to a gender is 'unfair'

ReputationRep:
    If you're both happy with the arrangement, I don't see a problem with open relationships.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, that's cheating and they'd be out the window. Bisexual people CAN be monogamous :rolleyes: but if you're happy with an open relationship go for it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.