The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Phones to consider:

Nokia 6230
Nokia 7610
Motorola V80
If your a girl, the Samsung e600 is a nice small camera phone!!!
Reply 21
Bhaal85
Answer these questions:

1)Network preference - Who are most of you friends on?
2)How many texts and minutes do you use per month? Offpeak, onpeak, anytime minutes?
3)Budget?
4)Phone you have at the moment.

1 - Not really any preferences. A mix i'm guessing...i've never really bothered asking.

2 - I send at least twelve texts a day. I don't call very often but if I do, it's for around anything between half an hour to an hour.

3 - For the actual phone, it doesn't really matter as i'm not paying. For the monthly spending, hmm...around £40 on average (Pay as you go). Sometimes more.

4 - Nokia 3310. Wirh Orange.
Reply 22
Bhaal85
Answer these questions:

1)Network preference - Who are most of you friends on?
2)How many texts and minutes do you use per month? Offpeak, onpeak, anytime minutes?
3)Budget?
4)Phone you have at the moment.

Well, since nobody has bothered to respond, I shall take it that nobody can be arsed, so I'm off to bed, then to work in the morning to use my expertise elsewhere. Night.
Reply 23
Bhaal85
Three is pathetic, considering I work at Phones4U, no other network has the highest amount of returns. The tariffs whether your on PAYG or contract are really good, but the handsets are diabolical. They are chunky, massive ugly bricks, and the battery life is appaling, I'd avoid them completely.

Well, I had a couple of mates who registered with Three and insisted on it but I don't really know anybody else who has it, and I guess you would know better working there. I saw a handset that was square-shaped, rather small, Nokia...colour screen andeverything with the kepad divided on each vertical side. Can't remember the exact model, unfortunately but it was around £200 and seemed quite bearable.
Reply 24
IHavePMS
Well, I had a couple of mates who registered with Three and insisted on it but I don't really know anybody else who has it, and I guess you would know better working there. I saw a handset that was square-shaped, rather small, Nokia...colour screen andeverything with the kepad divided on each vertical side. Can't remember the exact model, unfortunately but it was around £200 and seemed quite bearable.

Nokia 7600.
Reply 25
AndyT
I recently went for a Motorola C350, because I got half of the price back in airtime, I think to say I didn't care what sort of phone I had would be an understatement...

I like the look of that phone but i've always been wary of WAP service o.O
Reply 26
1 - Not really any preferences. A mix i'm guessing...i've never really bothered asking.

Well it's pretty important, if you go onto contract it will be far cheaper to ring your mates up if they are on the same network.

2 - I send at least twelve texts a day. I don't call very often but if I do, it's for around anything between half an hour to an hour.

About 360 texts per month? Most networks do a text bolt-on, where you pay an additional amount on top of your line rental, to get free text. Orange is really expensive.

3 - For the actual phone, it doesn't really matter as i'm not paying. For the monthly spending, hmm...around £40 on average (Pay as you go). Sometimes more.

If your spending that sort of money then perhaps a move towards a contract would be wise, as you get some really nice phones for free, and the amount you spend should be lower. I mean for £25 a month on 02 you get 100 minutes and 100 text those minutes are to any network anytime of the day, for the first three months they are doubled. Orange require you to pay something like £33 a month for 120 minutes and 120 text which are doubled for six months, though I have always thought ORANGE as overpriced. Vodafone are worse. If it were me, I'd go with 02. You can also transfer your number across onto contract too. You need your PAC code beforehand, you just ring up customer services and request it.

You can have any sort of phone on your tariff. Just peruse in some of the local shops. lol.
Reply 27
who_me
Nokia 7600.

Much obliged.
Reply 28
IHavePMS

The Nokia 7600 is probably the best out of the handsets available, if you sign onto three don't take the LG or the NEC. Three backbone off 02, and on the 7600 you can set it so that you only recieve the voice calls, and not the video calling, this will improve the reception dramatically.

Be advised if you get any problems whatsoever your going to spend a very long time on hold, getting through to the customer services on the other side, nightmare, and its not an english person, but an Indian call centre, and I swear I can't make heads nor tails out of what they are saying. It's amusing yet highly frustrating, when I'm signing customers onto three. I hate the network.

If you go on THREE PAYG, you have to use your credit within 30 days or you lose it. If your on contract, the minutes don't carry over. It's pants, the handsets, maximum talktime is about 2 hours, standby is a day at most. You have to be constantly re-charging the phone every night, it's ludicrous!
Reply 29
Bhaal85
You can have any sort of phone on your tariff. Just peruse in some of the local shops. lol.

Thanks for the information. That was helpful but I guess I should have pointed out that I prefer Pay as You Go. Apologies. I'm just not good on contract, I tried for a month but lost all account of how much I was spending since you diminish the mentality that you don't have enough credit on your phone and use it as much as you want. I'm a little more disciplined with Pay as You Go. I've heard O2 are good with both, though, so i'll look into that. Much appreciated.
Reply 30
Bhaal85

Well it's pretty important, if you go onto contract it will be far cheaper to ring your mates up if they are on the same network.

About 360 texts per month? Most networks do a text bolt-on, where you pay an additional amount on top of your line rental, to get free text. Orange is really expensive.

If your spending that sort of money then perhaps a move towards a contract would be wise, as you get some really nice phones for free, and the amount you spend should be lower. I mean for £25 a month on 02 you get 100 minutes and 100 text those minutes are to any network anytime of the day, for the first three months they are doubled. Orange require you to pay something like £33 a month for 120 minutes and 120 text which are doubled for six months, though I have always thought ORANGE as overpriced. Vodafone are worse. If it were me, I'd go with 02. You can also transfer your number across onto contract too. You need your PAC code beforehand, you just ring up customer services and request it.

Reply 31
IHavePMS
Thanks for the information. That was helpful but I guess I should have pointed out that I prefer Pay as You Go. Apologies. I'm just not good on contract, I tried for a month but lost all account of how much I was spending since you diminish the mentality that you don't have enough credit on your phone and use it as much as you want. I'm a little more disciplined with Pay as You Go. I've heard O2 are good with both, though, so i'll look into that. Much appreciated.

If you go onto the 02 website you can buy the BT Genie sim cards, whereby if you top it up each month with £10 you get 300 free text. I think for you the ideal phone would be the Nokia 6100, they retail at £129.99 though I don't know what your prepared to spend on a phone.
Reply 32
Bhaal85
The Nokia 7600 is probably the best out of the handsets available, if you sign onto three don't take the LG or the NEC. Three backbone off 02, and on the 7600 you can set it so that you only recieve the voice calls, and not the video calling, this will improve the reception dramatically.

The LG's out then. That's one my mate has but he never told me much about it. The 7600 certainly is attractive so i'll have to keep that in mind.

Be advised if you get any problems whatsoever your going to spend a very long time on hold, getting through to the customer services on the other side, nightmare, and its not an english person, but an Indian call centre, and I swear I can't make heads nor tails out of what they are saying. It's amusing yet highly frustrating, when I'm signing customers onto three. I hate the network.

Haha. Thanks. I guess my partial knowledge of hindi would be an advantage =P

If you go on THREE PAYG, you have to use your credit within 30 days or you lose it. If your on contract, the minutes don't carry over. It's pants, the handsets, maximum talktime is about 2 hours, standby is a day at most. You have to be constantly re-charging the phone every night, it's ludicrous!

Ouch. Reconsidering... (see why I haven't bothered changing my phone in three years? hehe)
Reply 33
IHavePMS
I like the look of that phone but i've always been wary of WAP service o.O

Never touched the WAP features, as I say I got it because it worked out as the best deal, I only use a phone for the occasional text or call to my mates to agree when to meet up.
Reply 34
Bhaal85
If you go onto the 02 website you can buy the BT Genie sim cards, whereby if you top it up each month with £10 you get 300 free text. I think for you the ideal phone would be the Nokia 6100, they retail at £129.99 though I don't know what your prepared to spend on a phone.

That's an amazing deal =O I'll definitely look into that, thanks. And that price is fine, as I said, i'm not the one paying for the phone itself. That model, however, looks too similar to the one I have. I know it has different capacities but i'd like one that looks a little different too.
Reply 35
AndyT
Never touched the WAP features, as I say I got it because it worked out as the best deal, I only use a phone for the occasional text or call to my mates to agree when to meet up.

I always get freaked that i'm going to use it unintentionally or something and lose all my credit. I borrowed my sister's phone once and didn't realise they charged you for the game-playing features or something and lost like £15.
Reply 36
IHavePMS
I always get freaked that i'm going to use it unintentionally or something and lose all my credit. I borrowed my sister's phone once and didn't realise they charged you for the game-playing features or something and lost like £15.

Sounds like a pretty rough deal to me, I think the C350 has game upgrade options over WAP but frankly if I want to play a game I'll use my PC or a console rather than a mobile, I have inadvertently (sp?) dialed up to WAP once but it shows you a big globe icon or something like that, makes it fairly obvious that you're connecting so there's little to worry about really.
Reply 37
AndyT
Sounds like a pretty rough deal to me, I think the C350 has game upgrade options over WAP but frankly if I want to play a game I'll use my PC or a console rather than a mobile, I have inadvertently (sp?) dialed up to WAP once but it shows you a big globe icon or something like that, makes it fairly obvious that you're connecting so there's little to worry about really.

Aah. I'll keep that in mind, thanks. How much was the phone?
Reply 38
IHavePMS
Aah. I'll keep that in mind, thanks. How much was the phone?

£70 from Virgin, but I got £35 of airtime with that, which to me seemed a pretty good deal.
Reply 39
AndyT
£70 from Virgin, but I got £35 of airtime with that, which to me seemed a pretty good deal.

That's impressive. Definitely on my maybe list, and the only one there so far. Thanks! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending