Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I'm going to have to repeat a year and I think my friends won't want to hangout anymore. I also feel like my siblings are going to judge me. I've never been held back and I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I'm going to have to repeat a year and I think my friends won't want to hangout anymore. I also feel like my siblings are going to judge me. I've never been held back and I don't know what to do.
    Just do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My brothers girl friend had to retake year 13 when everyone else went to uni, she just got on with it. She only went in when she had lessons and she made some friends in the new year, she said it was hard but she had no choice and she was happy that she did it. Good luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Then they're not true friends

ReputationRep:
    If your friends judge you for this, you deserve better friends. True friends would stick by your decision and appreciate why you're doing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Then they're not true friends
    I agree as they're not worthy of you

ReputationRep:
    It'll be fine, you'll still be able to see your friends surely? And maybe you'll make some new ones too.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let that put you off repeating a year because in the long term repeating that year and getting better grades to go to a better uni will be more beneficial to your life than losing s friend just because you weren't in the same year as them (well clearly they weren't really your friend as something as small as that broke your friendship)
    True friends will stay in touch with you and make an effort even if you're not in the same year. Think of it like prep for uni where none of you will be in the same uni or course

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I repeated my AS year at a different school and became friends with the year 12s! It's 100% worth it, my first sitting of AS I got CDUU, I took different subjects including EPQ and got A*AACC! Trust me you won't regret it! Everyone says you don't remain close friends with everyone in school anyway and that you will make loads of friends at uni! Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    This is literally my situation 2 years ago. I always excelled effortlessly previously and when I didn't it hit me like a ton of bricks. I cried and I wanted it to be some sort of joke, or a mix up. My siblings are ruthless little buggers so they ribbed me for a little while but it was all in jest and it pattered out after a while. As for friends, it may seem harsh but if they're really your friends then you will still be able to hang out regardless of being held back. Not to mention I thought I would be lonely all by myself in this year of people I didn't know, and at the time, felt that I didn't want to know. Turns out there were a lot of cool peeps who are pretty chill and helped me feel included in their little group. We actually all spent a lot of time together and helped each other through some pretty emotional ups and downs that happened that year. The friends I made in that year I was so wary about making are turning out to be those fabled friends you hear about that you make for life. Just last night I was at a party for a 19th birthday surprise party of one of those friends I made. We even ended up going to the same Uni together so we were able to be there for each other in case of anything during freshers week and if he needed someone to talk to whilst walking back at 2am from a night out.

Anyways sorry for the long drawn out paragraph but I just wanted to be able to give examples to show you that it may not be all that bad. Just go into the next year with the mindset of being open to making new friends and actually talk to people. You don't have to be a great conversationalist just ask about things like "how did you find last nights maths homework?" and stuff like that. Also be determined to do your schoolwork to the absolute best of your ability. I tell you now it won't be easy. For me it took a lot of early mornings and late nights staying behind in school. Lucky for me my sixth form had a computer room dedicated to sixth formers that could be used at any point during the day, before and even after school. I would not get home until six o'clock most days during the week. I would just sit and go through the work and study because my home life at the time was jacked up to say the least and was part of what contributed to me not passing the first time around. In the computer room I was able to enjoy peace and quiet with no disturbances and it made a big difference in my grades. So much of a difference that I am now going into my 2nd year of Uni this coming September and I couldn't be happier (Well, technically, I'll be happier when my student finance comes in lol ).

I hope me sharing my experience has helped you in some way.

Thank you guys, reading it makes me feel so much better. I guess I overexagerrated about losing all the friends I have in my year. I was just feeling very overwhelmed at that moment. I do have a few really good friends but there are those people who'll just gossip about it and I guess that's why I feel so uneasy about it. I kind of hope I get to repeat it because my subject choices weren't the best and this way I can fix it and do something better and improve my grades

(Original post by Danimillie)
    Hi,
    I repeated my AS year at a different school and became friends with the year 12s! It's 100% worth it, my first sitting of AS I got CDUU, I took different subjects including EPQ and got A*AACC! Trust me you won't regret it! Everyone says you don't remain close friends with everyone in school anyway and that you will make loads of friends at uni! Hope this helps!

That's amazing ^^ I hope it's the same for me as well

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.