Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Computer Science (I think) but hope to get a job in avionics, maybe developing software for planes or satellites or something. I want to work for NASA or somewhere similar working on projects like Juno, but the computing side of it. Am I picking the right degree to do this sort of thing?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can. You can also do that with physics and some forms of engineering too if you learn programming while doing the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent19)
    I want to study Computer Science (I think) but hope to get a job in avionics, maybe developing software for planes or satellites or something. I want to work for NASA or somewhere similar working on projects like Juno, but the computing side of it. Am I picking the right degree to do this sort of thing?
    Yes whilst Comp Sci will get you a job in that area, Aerospace engineering/Electrical engineers will probably get first spots at jobs related to flight software/satellites etc. This is because not only do they study programming, they study actual flight mechanics, Satellites and hard core control theory. A pure comp sci student trying to develop flight software will be hard as you'd have no knowledge in terms of the maths involved. So if you wanna go in those areas you should be looking at electronic engineering degree.

I want to do the exact thing you mentioned, I'm very interested in flight software. But I chose to study aerospace engineering so I can learn the maths and physics. On the side, I do a lot of programming (working on my own projects, hackaton, etc). I'm even currently doing an internship at Google. All of this will help me become a good software developer, as well as gaining the mathematical knowledge I need from my aerospace engineering degree. (Just finished 1st year)

What year are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TheStudent19)
    Yea, but you probably won't be able to work for NASA because you need US citizenship. You could however work for e.g. SpaceX, if you got lucky with the work visa lottery and if you actually were to receive a job offer.

With CS you have the option to go into technical roles, and non-technical 'general grad job' roles. First bucket would be software engineering, data science, analytics, security/encryption, app/web dev, program/product management etc and the latter would be more management trainee schemes, finance, accounting, marketing, trading, investment banking, HR etc.

To be competitive for technical roles nowadays, you'll need a decent amount of extracurricular project work, things to put up on github, internships, a strong fundamental backing in CS (algos and data structures in particular) and if you can, making it to hackathons helps too.

Nontechnical roles you need to demonstrated leadership ability through extracurriculars and volunteering as well as strong communication skills via interviews and of course demonstrated interest in the area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    What year are you in?
    I just finished year 12. I didn't take physics so I think I've missed the boat for aerospace engineering. It's a shame too as I didn't even know it existed when I chose my A Levels.

Thanks for the replies from all of you, I will have a little look into electrical engineering. On a side note, they offer Computer Science with Robotics at King's, and Computer Science with AI at Imperial. I was thinking of applying to these courses. Would the Robotics/AI element help with Avionics?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.