Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So just got told that BCU would take me on to do a foundation year for engineering, then (hopefully) transfer me to the original engineering course I wanted to do.

However, my parents seem to be against it a little. They thing that I might struggle with it all. Even with the foundation year.

Thing is, I've had my heart set on university since I started my second year of a-levels, after visiting my girlfriend who studies at a uni in the same city I love the idea of being a student, the whole uni life thing. As well as the city, Birmingham is a pretty nice place! I love the whole bustling city life thing.

I know that going to uni isnt for the life but to get a degree out of it, and after messing up many of my exams I feel that if I was at uni I'd have a much better mind set than when I was at home, I know I'll be there to study and get a degree compared to being at school where I was entitled to go, compared to the personal choice of uni.

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CptConnor)
    So just got told that BCU would take me on to do a foundation year for engineering, then (hopefully) transfer me to the original engineering course I wanted to do.

However, my parents seem to be against it a little. They thing that I might struggle with it all. Even with the foundation year.

Thing is, I've had my heart set on university since I started my second year of a-levels, after visiting my girlfriend who studies at a uni in the same city I love the idea of being a student, the whole uni life thing. As well as the city, Birmingham is a pretty nice place! I love the whole bustling city life thing.

I know that going to uni isnt for the life but to get a degree out of it, and after messing up many of my exams I feel that if I was at uni I'd have a much better mind set than when I was at home, I know I'll be there to study and get a degree compared to being at school where I was entitled to go, compared to the personal choice of uni.

Opinions?
    The uni has had a reference from your school as part of your application process. If you were a real no-hoper, the school would have said so (however politely) and warned the uni off. The uni has considered your results, your personal statement and your reference; they have decided that you're a good bet and have offered you a place. If they genuinely thought you weren't going to make it, then you would have bern rejected.

I would take the combined opinion of your school and the uni, over that of your parents. Your parents mean well and are trying to protect you from potential disappointment. However you can't get anywhere in life by avoiding obstacles which might be overcome by things like like hard work, determination and applying yourself.

Do you understand where school exams went wrong? Are you confident that you can overcome those factors? Are you genuinely prepared to knuckle down and get the job done? It's an expensive way to get a lifestyle you might enjoy for four years. But if you're sure in your own mind that you're prepared to graft for this degree, then I think you should go for it.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    If we've offered you a place, we believe in you! There's lots of help once you get here too, for example the School of Engineering has a Student Success Advisor who will be able to help with any issues you are having with your course work etc. If you have any other questions let us know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CptConnor)

Opinions?
    if it's your dream I'd say go for it I know it's over used and many people sound stupid saying it but in this case it really is true. YOLO.

ReputationRep:
    If you believe all the things that you've just said then absolutely mate go for it. The fact that you're considering all of these things seriously and also making the effort to ask for advice on TSR shows how important it is for you and how seriously you're taking it. Of course uni is about working and achieving a degree but it is also about that student life experience and enjoying it all too. If you think you can do it and also want to have that fun uni experience then I'd say back yourself!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.