Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been saving up for a new laptop for my college course which begins 29/08. I'm currently using a chromebook but I'm missing Microsoft office and the ability to edit documents when my **** WiFi is down. My budget is £450 max and I'm a technology dunce. I'll be using the laptop for creating essays and slideshows, going on social media (mainly YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and of course, TSR). I'll also be downloading a fair amount of MP3 files. Any mighty tech wizards out there who can advise me?

ReputationRep:
    Look for something with a big hard drive, minimum 4 gigs of ram, fairly powerful processor (at least an i5 I'd say). Since you're not planning on gaming you won't be needing anything with a discrete graphics card.
    This one's refurbished but it's well within your price range (£370), has 8 gigs of ram, 1tb hard drive, i5 cpu, and a full hd screen.
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/a1-re...10/version.asp

Edit: I'd advise against a Macbook since new ones are well out of your price range, and older ones are going to be underpowered compared to what you can get now for the same price. Plus there's a lot of stuff that's incompatible with macOS that is compatible with Windows, whereas there aren't that many Mac-exclusives.

ReputationRep:
    HP laptops are good and cheap in general - and good for the things u need it for, read reviews before you buy!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at novatech.co.uk they get 9.5 on trustpilot and let you customise items to spec.

Also does your budget include office and Windows OS or are you getting that seperatley?

Also use topcashback with novatech

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryDave)
    I've been saving up for a new laptop for my college course which begins 29/08. I'm currently using a chromebook but I'm missing Microsoft office and the ability to edit documents when my **** WiFi is down. My budget is £450 max and I'm a technology dunce. I'll be using the laptop for creating essays and slideshows, going on social media (mainly YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and of course, TSR). I'll also be downloading a fair amount of MP3 files. Any mighty tech wizards out there who can advise me?
    You shouldn't consider anything less than 8gig ram and 1 tb hardrive to be honest with you, and an i3 processor. i'm not doing an it degree, but i am good with computers. You should be able to get that from pc world for under £350 especially in the sales, and then you can try and get office for the remaining £100, your university should offer under graduate discounts, i'd talk to them about it?

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend a macbook pro 2012 version refurbished on ebay or macbook air refurbished. Always reliable and top quality.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The £450 HP Pavilion laptops are about the fastest, most powerful devices you'll get in that budget. But they'd also be more powerful than you'd necessarily need. This laptop:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...41561-pdt.html

would technically offer everything you need at fraction of your budget (£300). Not my favourite laptop but it's an option

Office you can usually get for free via your University (with Dreamspark or other student programs). If you can't get a free copy you could spend £60 or so on a University Student of Office with a 4 year licence. You'd also have money left over to purchase anti virus or any software you may need.

If after all that you still had budget left over I'd recommend picking up an external 1TB hard drive and using it for backups. So many people buy a laptop and don't think about how to keep their data safe. I'm sure you don't want to be in a situation where you lose all your uni work so having at least 1 backup that isn't on your machine is advisable.

If you wanted another laptop you'd be looking at the following specs:
    i3 processor of some sort (i5 is nice but wasted if you're only doing uni work and web browsing. Not to mention laptop i5's tend to be dual core anyway)

8GB of RAM. Any less is not ideal and any more is again wasted.

1TB storage. You could get a nice fast device with an SSD but you'd likely limit yourself to 256GB at most. Which would mean you'd definitely need an external hard drive (maybe 2 if you wanted backups).

Also take into account portability, weight, size and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, not quite a mighty tech wizard, but I did need to buy a laptop recently (my old laptop was getting very hot to the touch and was making loud noises like it was about to explode... didn't really want it on my lap...).

For what you need it for, an 4gb RAM should be fine, and maybe an Intel Core i3 processor (or Intel Core i5 or i7, but i3 is likely cheaper). And I used the rule of thumb that a good processor speed is around 2+ GHz. I would recommend touchscreen, and don't worry about having a two-in-one folding computer if you are only looking for a laptop as I've got one of those for just laptop use at the moment and it seems fine.

If you are already a student, are you a member of unidays (if not, sign up)? You need to verify you are a student with a student email address (but it's any post-16 student email, so my sixth form one worked). They currently have a 15% voucher code for Dell computers, and as an experiment I looked at the Inspiron 13 5000 2-in-1 model. It's normally £499, but with the discount it's £424 and by the looks of things the voucher might be valid for a few more months, so even if you haven't got a student email you should (hopefully) still have that discount if you can wait a month and have to wait a month before becoming a student.

I don't know. If you want higher specs for a lower price, look at discounts (not just the one I found).You can get better specs for a lower price that way. The one I picked out does not look bad to be honest, but see what you like.

Hope this helps.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.