The Student Room Group

How are you feeling about results day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamie Vardy.
People need to stop being wimps. GCSEs are nothing, wait until A-levels.

That's what I'm worrying most about. xD
Reply 21
Honestly at this point I don't even care, it's easy to think that GCSE's will be the deciding factor of your life and put so much pressure on yourself while you're doing them but in retro-sight I wish I would have been a bit more reserved. Also, I see no point worrying about the grades at this point, they are already processed. To anyone who is dreading results day realize that 1) you probably did well but are over-thinking it due to nerves and 2) that A-levels are where it matters and get motivated to do well in them; you can always turn your story around.
Sh***** it.

I'm not bothered/worried about getting a place at sixth form, I know I will, so I don't need to worry about how much GCSE's are worth or anything. I'm just more worried I won't meet the expectations I have for myself, and that I won't get out what I want considering how much I put into revision.
Original post by TheNerdxP
GCSE's matter more for Oxford than Cambridge, do not worry my friend!
They're usually not a deciding factor.

can i ask how you are aware of this (im interested in aiming for Oxbridge)
GCSE's matter more for Oxford than Cambridge, do not worry my friend!
They're usually not a deciding factor.

Phew haha, I knew Oxford cared more but obviously one wants to do their best. :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by hxfsxh
My birthday is the day after results day! I know exactly how you feel- it's either going to be great or the worst day ever 😔

Same my 16th birthday is the day after results day too! :/ but tbh i'd rather it be after results day than this week before results day.
Original post by joeb221
Same my 16th birthday is the day after results day too! :/ but tbh i'd rather it be after results day than this week before results day.

Haha birthday buddies! If it was before, I'd be way to nervous to have fun so yeah :/
Original post by joeb221

Happy birthday for then! Good luck with your results!
Original post by OHH_MY_DAYZ:b
can i ask how you are aware of this (im interested in aiming for Oxbridge)

I am aware of this after ALOT of research. Cambridge concentrates more on A-Level results and Oxford concentrates more on GCSE's. Obviously Oxford will still want AAA but there's less pressure for A-Level's than Cambridge.
Original post by hxfsxh
Phew haha, I knew Oxford cared more but obviously one wants to do their best. :smile:

Of course! and I'm sure you shall :h:
Of course! and I'm sure you shall :h:

Well thank you :h:
I am aware of this after ALOT of research. Cambridge concentrates more on A-Level results and Oxford concentrates more on GCSE's. Obviously Oxford will still want AAA but there's less pressure for A-Level's than Cambridge.

is there a reason for Oxford caring so much about GCSE's?
I wish people would stop saying GCSE's aren't important. If I don't get into a better sixth form than the one at my current school (which performs below the national average) that could affect my grades at a-level. I've applied to a good grammar school sixth form but I'm so so worried I won't get in :frown:

There's no 'less pressure' from Oxford. Both Oxford and Cambridge will ask for top grades and as both unis will receive applicants with A*s/As at A level they'll both look at GCSEs to help make their decisions. Be realistic.
Original post by epage
I wish people would stop saying GCSE's aren't important. If I don't get into a better sixth form than the one at my current school (which performs below the national average) that could affect my grades at a-level. I've applied to a good grammar school sixth form but I'm so so worried I won't get in :frown:

As long as you have the resources then you can self teach most A levels.
Original post by RomeoSantos
There's no 'less pressure' from Oxford. Both Oxford and Cambridge will ask for top grades and as both unis will receive applicants with A*s/As at A level they'll both look at GCSEs to help make their decisions. Be realistic.

I am being realistic. It is evident that Oxford expect more from GCSE's than Cambridge, just look at the records. I know, hence me saying they will still want 'AAA'. It even says on the Cambridge website that 'GCSE's are not a deciding factor' but obviously if students fail everything it won't do them justice. I'm not advising people to slack on GCSE's, I'm telling them the truth to relieve the pressure.
As long as you have the resources then you can self teach most A levels.

Even so, my current school's sixth form does very little in terms of extracurricular activity, and I don't think I would get the same level of motivation there as I would at a grammar. I'm not hugely self motivating so that's important
Reply 37
I feel ill... Abdominal pains and a headache, feeling hot and I'm jet lagging too.
I am being realistic. It is evident that Oxford expect more from GCSE's than Cambridge, just look at the records. I know, hence me saying they will still want 'AAA'. It even says on the Cambridge website that 'GCSE's are not a deciding factor' but obviously if students fail everything it won't do them justice. I'm not advising people to slack on GCSE's, I'm telling them the truth to relieve the pressure.

Because A levels are obviously the deciding factor. However nearly all applicants will have all A*s and As at GCSE and anything lower will be an easy reason to decline you.
Reply 39

No, this is patently false.

1. Oxford entry requirements are objectively lower than that of Cambridge's.

2. They won't be using GCSE's as a very indicative factor, or at least, Cambridge won't. They've got admissions tests, interviews and pre-interview tests for that.

Be realistic.

Quick Reply

Latest