Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just did my year 12 as levels (biology, chemistry, psychology, English lit, general studies) and I want to do my year again as I got ill and didn't get very good grades.
    I have ME and got quite ill due to other reasons.

Should I just do my year 12 again or do applied science btec?
    I feel better but everyone just tells me I'll get ill again but I don't know. I quite like what I studied, just struggled to keep up with some work. But I'll drop English literature as it's futile for my future.

Any help/advice is welcome!

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, when I repeated year 12 the same problem reoccurred during most of the year and cleaned up towards exam time which obviously was not enough time anyway and I failed again and wished I'd have dropped and done a BTEC or something else.

You know your health more than anyone so do what is best for you. Don't put too much pressure on yourself and look at your own abilities.

If you think you can do it and you don't think your illness will come back or wont come back to the extend that you aren't able to focus then do A levels and if you think otherwise then do the BTEC.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    What type of illness are you referring to (physical or mental) and how did you perform?

Personally I would advise you to continue with your A-levels as they provide you with more opportunities, however a BTEC may not be a bad idea as they are now widely accepted by Universities and the workload is commonly less than with A-levels.

If you were to decide to redo year 12 and University is your ambition you should take into consideration that some Universities and employers prefer students to complete their A-level qualification within a period of two years. Things may however be different because of your mitigating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThinkAndGrowRich)
    What type of illness are you referring to (physical or mental) and how did you perform?

Personally I would advise you to continue with your A-levels as they provide you with more opportunities, however a BTEC may not be a bad idea as they are now widely accepted by Universities and the workload is commonly less than with A-levels.

If you were to decide to redo year 12 and University is your ambition you should take into consideration that some Universities and employers prefer students to complete their A-level qualification within a period of two years. Things may however be different because of your mitigating circumstances.
    I have ME which is commonly known as chronic fatigue syndrome(I was managing well with it) and I became severely indeficient in vitamin D, and it just caused me to completely shut down.

I didn't think that taking three years to complete a-levels would be a problem, I just assumed that if the grades were there then it shouldn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adores)
    I have ME which is commonly known as chronic fatigue syndrome(I was managing well with it) and I became severely indeficient in vitamin D, and it just caused me to completely shut down.

I didn't think that taking three years to complete a-levels would be a problem, I just assumed that if the grades were there then it shouldn't matter.
    Oh, I see - sorry to hear. It Isn't a problem with most Universities; however it can be with very competitive courses.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.