Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth applying to Oxford for PPE with AAB at A2 and a D at AS with extenuating circumstances (hospitalisation for attempted suicide, and death in the immediate family) while I score high on TSA practices?

My prediction was 3A*. I went to UNIQ. I didn't apply last year.

No other "good" uni gives offers below AAA and I've been told my safest bet is Oxford as I have the TSA and interview to shine through. I don't qualify for Leeds Access.

I don't enjoy any course as much as I've read around PPE, even self taught some modules outlined and run a relevant blog.

I have considered emailing, but I feel it is quite the annoying thing to ask.

Nonetheless, as I don't even meet the lowest standard offer and there are thousands better than me applying for this highly competitive course, I just want honesty and (please) some advice.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by eraserbrain)
    Is it worth applying to Oxford for PPE with AAB at A2 and a D at AS with extenuating circumstances (hospitalisation for attempted suicide, and death in the immediate family) while I score high on TSA practices?

No other "good" uni gives offers below AAA and I've been told my safest bet is Oxford as I have the TSA and interview to shine through. I don't qualify for Leeds Access.

I don't enjoy any course as much as I've read around PPE, even self taught some modules outlined and run a relevant blog.

Nonetheless, as I don't even meet the lowest standard offer and there are thousands better than me applying for this highly competitive course, I just want honesty and (please) some advice.
    Is it is not possible to retake some modules? It's clear that you've got some serious extenuating circumstances but I think you'd have a much stronger application if you applied with the intention of attempting to get AAA (or above). Whilst I have heard of people getting in with below the minimum offer, it is extremely rare.

I would add that there's no harm in contacting Oxford admissions directly if you want to discuss personal issues, they're generally very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Is it is not possible to retake some modules? It's clear that you've got some serious extenuating circumstances but I think you'd have a much stronger application if you applied with the intention of attempting to get AAA (or above). Whilst I have heard of people getting in with below the minimum offer, it is extremely rare.

I would add that there's no harm in contacting Oxford admissions directly if you want to discuss personal issues, they're generally very good.
    Do they not look down on module retakes taken during a gap year?

Also, thank you a lot for your suggestion. I guess I should look into emailing. I just didn't want to sound whiny and time consuming to them.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Also, thank you a lot for your suggestion. I guess I should look into emailing. I just didn't want to sound whiny and time consuming to them.
    Whilst it's true that it's better to get a grade first time round than through a retake, I think universities are generally okay with one or two retakes as long as it's clear that it's not a persistent thing. But yes, definitely do look into emailing, you definitely will not sound whiny.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Thank you for posting - we hope that things are going better for you and you are receiving the support you need.

The suggestion to re-sit modules and get in touch with University Admissions for guidance is something we would endorse. We would also suggest that your personal circumstances are mentioned in a UCAS reference in a form that you are comfortable with.

As pointed out elsewhere on this Forum, extentuating circumstances feature in a number of applications and candidates are encouraged to disclose them.

Brasenose Admissions

ReputationRep:

Not sure whether that's a "yes" or a "no" from BNC but you can be certain that if you get a high tsa score you WILL get an interview.

At interview they have to decide whether you have the academic potential to do well and whether you are tough enough to survive the course (because it will not help you or them if you are not).

On the plus side, they seem to place a lot of confidence on interview scores and they seem to be less than enamoured about how/what schools teach and the national examination standards. However, you definitely need your school to point out the extenuating circumstances.

If you have the space on your UCAS form and you are not likely to fall to pieces if they reject you then what do you have to lose? You should also consider what you have to gain because Oxford has a dark side. The vast majority of students that get accepted are the very best. Some 70% of them will have to get used to being second best. On the other hand you get a huge increase in self-esteem by winning in the toughest selection process in the education system.

The people that make the decisions are academics and researchers. I have known quite a few of them and they are very talented people. However, I wouldn't trust most of them with a shopping list at Tesco's so the jury is still out on their ability to spot potential. That's the system. An acceptance is great, a rejection probably means very little. Be strong.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    [QUOTE=Pars12;67145200]Not sure whether that's a "yes" or a "no" from BNC but you can be certain that if you get a high tsa score you WILL get an interview.

We are happy to clarify our earlier post. All applicants must have or be predicted to achieve the standard offer of the course applied for, which in PPE is AAA, unless there are compelling extenuating circumstances. A high TSA score does not override this requirement.

Our advice is that you re-take an A-level to put yourself in the position of being qualified for the course and we also advised that your referee explain the circumstances behind the decision to take A-levels over more than one sitting in order to achieve AAA or better.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.