Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Maintenence Loan Not Eligible After Provided Evidence watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

Okay so I'm a student applying for Nottingham Trent University studying Mathematics for a 3 year course. I also got accepted into this uni about 2 days ago. So Student Finance wanted evidence from both me and my sister to get the highest maintenance loan which will be £8,200 outside London according to the Maintanance Loan Calculator and over £10,000 for my sister studying in London. My Mother is mentally ill with Schizophrenia so she can't work so her income is £0. My Father also doesn't live with us.

So we then provide the exact same evidence of our income in separate envelopes and posted it to student finance. A month later, my sister gets the increased amount and mine doesn't change and remains at around £3,800. Keep in mind the total amount to pay for my accommodation is £5,600.56 so it's way off.

Could someone explain to me why I didn't get an increase to my Maintanance Loan and my sister did, provided with the exact same evidence? My accommodation and uni opens in a month and two days and I don't know what to do to fix this. Should I call student finance to sort this out? And will I have enough time to fix this?

Thank you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Forhad_765)
    Hi.

Okay so I'm a student applying for Nottingham Trent University studying Mathematics for a 3 year course. I also got accepted into this uni about 2 days ago. So Student Finance wanted evidence from both me and my sister to get the highest maintenance loan which will be £8,200 outside London according to the Maintanance Loan Calculator and over £10,000 for my sister studying in London. My Mother is mentally ill with Schizophrenia so she can't work so her income is £0. My Father also doesn't live with us.

So we then provide the exact same evidence of our income in separate envelopes and posted it to student finance. A month later, my sister gets the increased amount and mine doesn't change and remains at around £3,800. Keep in mind the total amount to pay for my accommodation is £5,600.56 so it's way off.

Could someone explain to me why I didn't get an increase to my Maintanance Loan and my sister did, provided with the exact same evidence? My accommodation and uni opens in a month and two days and I don't know what to do to fix this. Should I call student finance to sort this out? And will I have enough time to fix this?

Thank you.
    Call them up ASAP

You need to make sure your evidence was received and processed (it sounds like it might have either gone astray in the post or somehow didn't get looked at against your application).

You might need to resend it.

Ask for and write down the name and job title of anyone you speak to and ask them to confirm anything they say to you in writing. If you feel like you're being fobbed off then ask if you can speak to someone more senior.

Also contact these people: https://www.ntu.ac.uk/university-lif...pport-services and the accommodation people at NTU ASAP and explain the problems and that your application hasn't yet been assessed for the income related additional loan. Ask about any financial arrangements for delaying/postponing your hall fees or about hardship loans and grants to get you through your first term (eg https://www4.ntu.ac.uk/student_servi...nds/index.html ).

Also make sure you apply for the best student bank account with a decent first term/first year overdraft to help cover your costs until this is sorted out http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-bank-account

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.