Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what chemistry at queen Mary is like?
    I've got an offer with a year in industry
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    :hi:

I'm about to start Chemistry at QM myself, I've spoken to undergrads and MSci/PhD students who've previously studied at QM and a lecturer there since I'm doing a placement at QM currently, the year in industry works where you apply yourself with the support of the university during the second year of the course to industria companies that offer the YINI.
    The course from what I've been told isn't bad so long as you keep up with revision and don't revise from April onwards and attend everything, labs aren't too bad and the lecturers there are really helpful.

This is based on several people telling me how QM is like. Are you feeling ready to start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feraligatr)
    :hi:

I'm about to start Chemistry at QM myself, I've spoken to undergrads and MSci/PhD students who've previously studied at QM and a lecturer there since I'm doing a placement at QM currently, the year in industry works where you apply yourself with the support of the university during the second year of the course to industria companies that offer the YINI.
    The course from what I've been told isn't bad so long as you keep up with revision and don't revise from April onwards and attend everything, labs aren't too bad and the lecturers there are really helpful.

This is based on several people telling me how QM is like. Are you feeling ready to start?

Thank you so much for your reply.
    That was really useful.
    I'll be doing the Bsc with a year in industry.
    I was worried as I read another post saying the course is really bad and they left but i guess it was quite a while ago.
    I'm glad the course is also accredited by the Royal society of chemistry unlike Kings.
    I'm really excited now!
    Are you on a gap year? What placement are you doing at queen Mary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's okay
    Erm..I'm not exactly on a gap year, im doing a sort of shadowing thing. I contacted my former supervisor from a Nuffield placement in Year 12 to ask for a sort of a research thing and he offered a shadowing opportunity. I'm due to start this September.

Btw, I've found that you can do a YINI and MSci 4 year course. I'm currently on the 3 yr course but I'm hoping to switch to 4yr. From what I've been told though, only the top students with the best rankings do YINI in 3rd year. Worse comes to worse, I might consider doing summer placements at QM for experience, you can get paid for some placements in 2nd year.

Are you starting this September or are you taking a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's okay
    Erm..I'm not exactly on a gap year, im doing a sort of shadowing thing. I contacted my former supervisor from a Nuffield placement in Year 12 to ask for a sort of a research thing and he offered a shadowing opportunity. I'm due to start this September.

Btw, I've found that you can do a YINI and MSci 4 year course. I'm currently on the 3 yr course but I'm hoping to switch to 4yr. From what I've been told though, only the top students with the best rankings do YINI in 3rd year. Worse comes to worse, I might consider doing summer placements at QM for experience, you can get paid for some placements in 2nd year.

Are you starting this September or are you taking a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm confused so you've completed a-levels and you're doing your year in industry before starting the degree programme?
    Sorry! Haha!!
    Yeahh, I'm hoping to do really good in the academic side of it so I can guarantee me a placement.
    I start this September yes
    The year in industry service try and find a place for all students so hopefully it'll all work out
    I'll contact them now and let you know more about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    No, no, I'm just doing a one off shadowing lab thing at QM, nothing else. I haven't yet yet started my degree. I'm due to start next month haha.
    So we should be on the same course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, no, I'm just doing a one off shadowing lab thing at QM, nothing else. I haven't yet yet started my degree. I'm due to start next month haha.
    So we should be on the same course

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh right haha
    I'll see you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.